Installing EVIC in '06 KJ...some questions before I get started... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Installing EVIC in '06 KJ...some questions before I get started...

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

Installing EVIC in '06 KJ...some questions before I get started...

I've been wanting to install an EVIC in my '06 KJ Sport, and finally bought one on eBay. It's version 56042756AJ, which included Homelink and TPM. I've read the excellent resource page (http://www.jeepkj.com/evic/) prior to doing anything. I'm set to go, but...
I wanted to check things out, so today, I pulled the stock map lights out of the headliner, pulled the lamp connector and plugged it into the EVIC. With the doors closed the map lights on the EVIC were very dim, and when I pushed the buttons to turn them on, they came to full brightness. Pushed the buttons again, and they became dim, and even were flickering. With the engine running, the lights never went completely out (like the original lights do). The bulbs in the EVIC are different than the bulbs in the original map lights. I'm guessing that the EVIC lights have a higher current draw (more wattage) that the original map lights, and thats what is keeping them from going completely out. Sound good, or is it something else?
Also, when I bought the EVIC, I also bought an ambient air temp sensor for behind the grill. But, while doing an oil change the other day, I found that the KJ already has an ambient temp sensor. I was under the impression that there shouldn't be one since I didn't have an EVIC. Am I right or wrong? Does this mean anything?
I was hoping that the KJ came pre-wired for the EVIC, but apparently not, so I'll have to make a harness, which looks easy.
So far I haven't cut the headliner, so I have time to back-out of this project if it looks like things are not going to work as planned.

BobFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

The harness for the EVIC should fix the issue with the lights so no problem there. Though one thing to check: did your eBay EVIC get an LED bulb upgrade from the original owner? Something to check...

Some Jeeps came with the ambient sensor in place even when there was no EVIC from the factory as yours did to be used by the vehicle's computer to measure air temp to control fuel mixture settings. Yours has one for that purpose.

As for the fit up in the ceiling...Did you buy the bracket that has to be glued on the roof? I believe beginning with the '05 models Jeep quit installing the plastic bracket above the headliner unless an EVIC was to be installed from the factory. Adds a bit of complexity to your install but it can be done with patience and good epoxy.

Bob
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to fabricate the EVIC data cable (the EVIC I purchased did come with the data "pig-tail". I just have to lengthen it). Since the EVIC cable and the light cable are separate, I wouldn't think that one would affect the pther.
As for the bracket, no I didn't get one. I'll run down to my dealer and order one. Glad I haven't cut the headliner yet!
Unread 01-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

Next question: I have the mount that needs to be glued to the roof. Looks pretty easy. Now I need to make a harness that goes from the EVIC to the OBDII harness. It looks like the wire gauge for the harness is pretty small, indicating that it doesn't carry much current. I have some 24 gauge solid 4-conductor "intercom" cable. Any opinion on whether this would be enough for this project? I like it because it's small and will be easy to run, and 4-conductor trailer light cable is over-kill (and a lot more expensive).
Thanks!
Unread 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

If I recall I used either 16 or 18 gauge solid wire and pre-wrapped the wires into a 4-conductor harness. 24 gauge should be OK; anyone know what the wire gauge is for the overhead light console? The EVIC harness doesn't carry any more current than the lights do.

Bob
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

As it turns out, I was at Lowes tonight and spotted "thermostat" wire, which is 5, 18 gauge wires in a single cable. I think that's what I'm going to end up using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
If I recall I used either 16 or 18 gauge solid wire and pre-wrapped the wires into a 4-conductor harness. 24 gauge should be OK; anyone know what the wire gauge is for the overhead light console? The EVIC harness doesn't carry any more current than the lights do.

Bob
Unread 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

Finally got the EVIC installed. The hardest part was cutting the roof liner to install the plastic mounting bracket, which isn't easy to do without cutting too large of a hole.
In any case, it seems to be working OK, EXCEPT that the air temperature doesn't display. The display just shows a couple of "--" next to the compass.
The Jeep does have a temp sensor, and just to play it safe, I swapped it out with the new one I bought before I realized there was already a temp sensor installed. The temperature doesn't show with either sensor.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Unread 02-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #8
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromCO View Post
Finally got the EVIC installed. The hardest part was cutting the roof liner to install the plastic mounting bracket, which isn't easy to do without cutting too large of a hole.
In any case, it seems to be working OK, EXCEPT that the air temperature doesn't display. The display just shows a couple of "--" next to the compass.
The Jeep does have a temp sensor, and just to play it safe, I swapped it out with the new one I bought before I realized there was already a temp sensor installed. The temperature doesn't show with either sensor.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Looked through original install instructions from another forum re: your ambient air temp problem...

Unless you got an EVIC from an '04-'07 Liberty or other '05+ Chrysler product the ambient air sensor will not display any readings. On the '02-'03 model year KJ's the air temp is communicated through the communications bus differently than on the later KJ's. Unfortunately there's no way to get a temp to read out using an EVIC earlier than your '06.

Keep your eyes peeled for an '04 or later EVIC on eBay; now that you've done the hard part (the installation) swapping out the EVIC module is easy. A later model year will give you what you're needing to finalize the job.

Hope this helps!

Bob
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Bob...sure wish I knew that before I bought the EVIC I have now. On the plus side, I can always sell this one when I get the right one.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.