Infinity Speaker (with integrated amp) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Infinity Speaker (with integrated amp)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
04LibertyRen
2004 KJ Liberty 

Infinity Speaker (with integrated amp)

The drivers side speaker on my 04 KJ Renegade has pretty much taken a dump on me, so I'm looking for a replacement. It's the Infinity amp integrated speaker. I don't really want to pay out the butt for one. Can anyone point me in the right direction for one? Or would anyone have a used one they would like to part with?

Unread 12-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
XJ-NoLimit
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ive never seenn the infinitys with built in amp but I would say get a pair of alpine type s for 82 a pair or if you have the money bump up to the type rs for 150 a pair. if you only buy one upgraed speaker your system is gunna be way off balance. if you cant afford the alpines go with pioneers they are closer to 60$ a pair. good luck
. d______b . Silver Jeep Club Member #25
--(OIIIIIIIO)--
XJ-NoLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
04LibertyRen
2004 KJ Liberty 

Well I decided to just buy a re-foam kit and have it at. I apologize if the subject of these speakers has been beat to death, to be truthful I didn't search.
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
LibertynJustice

The Liberty does indeed have integrated amps on the speakers and you can't just swap them out for aftermarket speakers - I already looked that route. I had the same problem on my 04 passenger door speaker and paid almost 200 bucks to replace it. 2 months later, the driver door speaker has done the same thing and now I've ordered yet another. For $400 I could have and should have just replaced the whole damn system. To top it off, now my CD changer has stopped working and I can't play, eject, or load any CD's.

These speakers are not easy to get by the way. I ordered each of them from 2 different dealers and both found them backordered. I got the first one in about a week but the 2nd one has been backordered for over a month now and I'm still waiting. I also looked for some used ones first but nobody seems to be selling them on ebay and none of the salvage yards I checked with (using a national internet locator service) carries electronics.
LibertynJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
04LibertyRen
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yep my passenger side blew on me too. I decided since they were already blown that I might as well just try re-foaming before shucking out almost $400 for 2 new speakers. For $26 I got the whole kit to do both speakers, the kit also included some well written instructions. About a day after I received them I had speakers that were as good as new. The key was to just be patient and take your time. $26 dollars and about a day of work beats $400 for sure. I would suggest giving re-foaming a try to anyone who has had this problem. I got my kit from a seller on ebay that even offered their personal e-mail for help. Ebay id is: geoaliwil.
Unread 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
04LibertyRen
2004 KJ Liberty 

Here is the auction I bought them from they have 10 more kit available Infinity 6-1/2" Speaker Foam Repair Kit / Woofer Refoam - eBay (item 300287285890 end time Dec-12-09 10:54:26 PST)
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
XR
2002 KJ Liberty 

Click here.
Unread 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
Crankworm

I can't believe how timely this thread showed up I just pulled my drivers door speaker to see why it was all rumbity rumbity. Does any one have any problems with the rear speakers? Should I just refoam all 4 or just the fronts.
Crankworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
katiesdad7
2006 KJ Liberty 

My 06 passenger side sounds like poop. I'm guessing its the speaker. How hard is it to repair/refoam these things?

And how do you get the door panel off?
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
LibertynJustice

The Infinity speakers seem to be time bombs and, in my opinion, should be recalled and replaced because this is obviously a chronic problem. And the design is piss-poor as well because the amps for the system are integrated onto each speaker instead of in the head unit which means they are more expensive to replace and can't be replaced with standard aftermarket speakers unless you also buy and install an in-line amp to drive them. I had 1 go bad in July and I searched high and low for ways and places to replace it without having to pay almost 200 bucks for a single speaker. I finally gave up and bought the speaker, which was backordered, but only took me about a week to get. Then, in October, another speaker failed with the same problem. I've purchased another one that was also backordered, from a different dealer, and I still don't have it.

I've heard good things about the refoam kit but it does seem to be tedious to do and involves taking a knife to the speaker. I guess it's worth a try, in hindsight, even if you screw something up. However, I would not pull and cut any of the speakers unless and until they go bad. What is happening is the foam is separating from the paper part of the speaker taking the tension off of the speaker and causing it to vibrate agains the magnet when you put any bass to it at all. So, you trim the foam surround off and glue a new one on.

Removing the door panels is fairly easy. I can't remember where I found it or what I did with it but I got a diagram somewhere on the net, it may have been this site, and printed it out. You need a "panel tool" for best results. I had one from way back that Crutchfield sent me as part of an install kit for a radio I bought from them years ago. It's basically a fork with 2 wide prongs that you insert behind each clip that holds the panel on and use it to pop the clips out around the door. Then you lift up on the door panel and pull it away enough to disengage and disconnect the door latch and the speaker connection. It's not hard and it's pretty self explanatory once you get the panel loose but it does help to have the tool.
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
LibertynJustice

Finally got my second new speaker today. So, I have a couple of broken but refoamable front door Infinity speakers if someone wants to pick up a pair cheap and try the refoaming without messing with their own speakers first. Shoot me a pm.
Unread 12-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
04LibertyRen
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertynJustice View Post
The Infinity speakers seem to be time bombs and, in my opinion, should be recalled and replaced because this is obviously a chronic problem. And the design is piss-poor as well because the amps for the system are integrated onto each speaker instead of in the head unit which means they are more expensive to replace and can't be replaced with standard aftermarket speakers unless you also buy and install an in-line amp to drive them. I had 1 go bad in July and I searched high and low for ways and places to replace it without having to pay almost 200 bucks for a single speaker. I finally gave up and bought the speaker, which was backordered, but only took me about a week to get. Then, in October, another speaker failed with the same problem. I've purchased another one that was also backordered, from a different dealer, and I still don't have it.
I agree that there should be some kind of recall on them. I love Infinity, I had a full infinity system in my previous car and they were amazing. I had them for 3 years and I beat the piss out of them and never had a problem. I got this Jeep and within a few months they go boom. Is the amp just putting out too much power for this particular model of speaker to handle? This is a problem that needs to be addressed on a large scale.

Last edited by 04LibertyRen; 12-21-2009 at 06:08 PM..
04LibertyRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
LibertynJustice

I think the problem is just a matter of time. I have 2 04 Chrysler vehicles, both with factory head units and Infinity premium sound and I love the way both of them sound. Both vehicles are low mileage, are very well taken care of, and both are garage kept. And others with liberties about the same age are reporting the same problems. It's just a quality issue - not of sound quality, but of materials and/or workmanship. I don't think the speakers are overwhelmed by any stretch. Probably something in the glue that holds the paper cone and foam surround together just failing over time.

I too like Infinity's products. I've had them in the past and have purchased them as aftermarket solutions. The subwoofer on my home theater system is by Infinity that I bought at Circuit City as an open box buy and it has rocked for several years and continues to. When my first Liberty speaker went out, I went straight online to replace them with more Infinity speakers. That's how I found out you can't do it without buying an amp as well. So, the speaker assembly quality is crap, apparently, but I also think the design of mounting the amp on the speaker and having to buy both pieces when 1 breaks to the tune of $200 is absolutely poor and ridiculous.
Unread 12-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
katiesdad7
2006 KJ Liberty 

I sent a letter to Chrysler asking them to fix mine even though the warranty is expired. The Jeep only has 16k on it. I figured it was worth the price of a stamp to ask.
Unread 12-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
caradiodoc

To clear up a little confusion, you do not NEED these amps to drive the speakers. Unlike confusing GM and Ford systems, ALL Chrysler radios put out speaker-level output and will run any speaker. The speaker-mounted amps or the remote-mounted amplifier are just for tone conditioning for the shape of the vehicles. GM has a bazillion different radio model numbers that all look the same but are meant for different cars. You must find the correct radio for the system to sound right. Good luck.

Chrysler only has a few different radio models. The Infinity system is the high end system and each one is tailored for the specific vehicle. These radios put out very little bass. It is made up in the amps. That's why aftermarket speakers will never sound good. They can only reproduce what the radio gives them. For better sound from aftermarket speakers, you'll need to downgrade to a non-Infinity radio. The amps do not increase power either so they won't cause blown speakers.

This IS the first I've heard about foam surround issues, and I wasn't aware they were still using amps on the speakers. I repaired a lot of amplifiers on speakers from the late '80s, but by the early '90s they had all disappeared. There are some speakers with small plastic blocks that contain a crossover network. To tell the difference, if your speaker has four wires in the connector, it has an amplifier. Two-wire speakers do not have amplifiers built in. They can be replaced with aftermarket speakers.

caradiodoc
caradiodoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.