ignition switch need help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > ignition switch need help please

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
billbo

ignition switch need help please

my ignition switch has gone out on my 06 jeep liberty. the key turns but it`s like there are no tumblers in it, and my ignition is stuck in on position,the dash lights are on but no start. my ? is if i remove the switch can i start it with a screw driver?

billbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo View Post
my ignition switch has gone out on my 06 jeep liberty. the key turns but it`s like there are no tumblers in it, and my ignition is stuck in on position,the dash lights are on but no start. my ? is if i remove the switch can i start it with a screw driver?

Yes you can start it with a small flat screwdriver.

Remove the covers from the steering wheel...two female Torx screws then remove the smaller Torx screw holding the ignition switch onto the actuator oin assembly. This small Torx screw requires a "security" male Torx bit which has a hole drilled in the center.

I am sure you will find that the "actuator assembly" has snapped off which is why the ignition switch does not move. This is plastic/zinc and has a habit of breaking off.

The Dealers do not stock this actuator assembly but will insist you buy the whole steering column assembly. Do a search here on "actuator assembly" or at the lostjeeps forum or the jeepkj forum and you will find where to buy the actuator assembly and how to replace it.

In the meantime, with the key in the ignition slot so that the steering lock is released and so the the key chip will activate SKIS if you have it fitted...turn the ignition switch with a small flat screwdriver and it should fire up.
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
scottcason
2005 KJ Liberty 

I just replaced mine last week.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...n+actuator+pin
scottcason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Yup got mine at carquest. Dorman part# 924-704.
kjrenegade03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
billbo

thanks fellows. im trying to get started on it, but i caint get the cover off, does anyone know what size the torx is or is it a special kind of torx?
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
billbo

sorry please delete.
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
billbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
Yes you can start it with a small flat screwdriver.

Remove the covers from the steering wheel...two female Torx screws then remove the smaller Torx screw holding the ignition switch onto the actuator oin assembly. This small Torx screw requires a "security" male Torx bit which has a hole drilled in the center.

I am sure you will find that the "actuator assembly" has snapped off which is why the ignition switch does not move. This is plastic/zinc and has a habit of breaking off.

The Dealers do not stock this actuator assembly but will insist you buy the whole steering column assembly. Do a search here on "actuator assembly" or at the lostjeeps forum or the jeepkj forum and you will find where to buy the actuator assembly and how to replace it.

In the meantime, with the key in the ignition slot so that the steering lock is released and so the the key chip will activate SKIS if you have it fitted...turn the ignition switch with a small flat screwdriver and it should fire up.

what is SKIS
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #8
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
what is SKIS
SKIS stands for something like Security Key Intruder System.

Some KJs only have it as an option, some have it standard.

You will Know if you have it installed if when you turn on the ignition a "KEY" symbol with a line through it light up in amber for a few seconds.

SKIS systems have a coded chip inbedded in the plastic of the key...when the key is inserted into the ignition key slot the chip sends a code to a SKIM module which sits just below the key barrel on the steering shaft...this SKIM module has a wire loop going around the key slot and picks up the code from the chip in the key.

The code is sent to the PCM/ECM and if the PCM/ECM is happy with the code the "key" symbol goes out and you can start the Jeep.

This prevents thieves trying to hot-wire the ignition or use a copied metal key to start the Jeep.

So if you have SKIS installed then you have to have the chipped key in the ignition slot while you turn the ignition switch with a screwdriver or the engine will not start.
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
scottcason
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
thanks fellows. im trying to get started on it, but i caint get the cover off, does anyone know what size the torx is or is it a special kind of torx?
Check out this video if you have not already. Did mine in about an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SKQpbn9Zjo
scottcason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
billbo

thanks alot everyone i got the actuator assembly today, going to install it tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.