I want to save money on a remote starter for a 2006 Liberty. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > I want to save money on a remote starter for a 2006 Liberty.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
diablo75

I want to save money on a remote starter for a 2006 Liberty.

I'd like to buy a remote starter for my girlfriend for Christmas. She has a 2006 Jeep Liberty. If anyone needs more info about it I can get it tomorrow while she's parked in the driveway.

I'm a DIY kind of guy who would like to see what it might take to install one of these things myself as well as where the best deal on a install kit might be. Thanks in advanced!

diablo75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
aszalan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/mofarest.html
aszalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
BrendonR

Diablo,

Just my $.02, but I'd let the factory do it.

reason being:

I had "alarm tech's" at visions do an alarm on my 1993 Subaru Legacy - and they royally f'd it up.

1st problem: worked find for about a month, then I noticed, on a random alarm test, that the alarm goes off, but I could turn up the radio LOUDER than the alarm went off. Easy fix, but the dumb@$$ didn't even tighten down the "siren ground" wire, just looped it around a bolt.

2nd problem: it's now winter, and EVERY morning going to start the car - my battery's dead. I figure out what the problem is - my brake lights were coming on as it got cold - so after about 2 months of pulling the brake light fuse every night, i finally found the problem. He afixed the alarm control module on some metal box under the dash (by my feet) with DOUBLE SIDED TAPE!!! The tape froze over night, and "lifted" pushing the alarm module against the brake light sensor, which turned them on. again, fixed with zip-ties.

3rd problem: car won't start at all. I have power this time, but nothing, not even a "click" from the starter. It WOULD however start if it was jumpered to another car. took it into the dealer because I have NO CLUE when it comes to wiring a car.... they manage to find that the alarm guy spliced in the alarm after the ignition - but didn't solder anything together, so the wire had come out of the contol module. $500 for them to fix that one.

And THAT diablo, is why i say let a dealer install - if something goes wrong, they'll be able to fix it (assuming you throw a fit in their office). not to say you're as dumb as whoever installed MY alarm - heck, you got into a forum, I don't think it would be POSSIBLE for you to be dumber than him - but imho too many things can go wrong.

Brendon

Current Mods: None

Currently accepting donations to remedy above.
BrendonR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

^^^Brendon..........I agree with you when it comes to alarms and remote starts and installation. I do all my own maintenance as I don't like others messing with my Jeep. But when it comes to wireing/alarms/remote starts, so much can go wrong. Personally I would get the Mopar OEM one and take it to the dealer and have them install it. Remote starts are a common dealer installed option. They do it all the time and the OEM one is made for your specific vehicle application, and it will also be warranteed that way. Unless you really know what you are doing, then do it yourself.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.