I used the search feature but still would like some opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > I used the search feature but still would like some opinions

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
jester72
2003 KJ Liberty 

I used the search feature but still would like some opinions

Ok here goes-

2003 Liberty 9x,xxx miles 3.7l engine.

We bought it used and it appeared to be in very good condition and well taken care of. The oil light came on and within a few miles the engine siezed up. the jeep sat for approx 6 months before I decided what to do with it.

What I did was drop it off at a ASE Certified mechanic that I trust and who has a very good reputation. I picked up a used 3.7 out of a wrecked 2009 w/26,000 miles and had my mechanic make all the necessary changes to make this engine work. We decided to use 5w-30 synthetic oil. This has ran perfectly for about 2,000 miles since the swap. no engine codes, no idiot lights, nothing.

THEN, last night while driving a heard a chime and looked down to see the oil light on. since the last time this light came on it cost me around $3,300, this time I immediately pulled over to check the oil. As I pulled into a parking lot to check the oil level, the jeep just died. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes and checked the oil. Oil level was full, on the dipstick the oil level was at the very top of the hatchmarks. I tried to start the jeep-
1st attempt- turned over but did not fire.
2nd and 3rd attempt- fired up but would not idle.
4th attempt- tried to start it while giving it some gas and it fired up and ran fine.

this morning before work I checked the oil level again, and again the oil was at the top of the hatchmarks on the dipstick. drove it to and from work today and had no problems.

after work I ran to the parts house and picked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge. my guess is, that currently the oil light is off, so the gauge would read normal, can I install the gauge permanantly to monitor the oil pressure? It sure would be nice to know exactly what the oil pressure is the next time that oil light comes on. can I disconect the oil pressure sending unit and plug in the gauge there, or does the liberty need a signal from that sending unit to run proper? Problem is I'd love to take the jeep on a 150 mile round trip at zero dark 30 tomorrow morning to dig some razor calms at the beach! not sure if this is the best thing to do, it's ran perfect for the last 2,000 miles since the engine swap and up until last night I would've never second guessed making the trip.

on a side note- the battery in the jeep when the engine siezed up tested bad. I borrowed a used "loaner" battery from work and installed that while the mechanic was working on it. I have a fresh new battery in the garage, I'm headed out to the garage now to install that and hook up the battery charger to make sure that it's fully charged. wouldn't that be funny if that's all that it takes!

Unread 04-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
blakeKJ
2006 KJ Liberty 

The liberty does all sorts of weird things with a bunked battery!
blakeKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
JeepCares

Jester72 - what did you end up doing?

Did the battery resolve the issue?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.