i think its time to regear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > i think its time to regear

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i think its time to regear

i have had my 02 kj about 3 years now. i put about 30,000 miles on it. its been sounding like a bad wheel bearing for a while now but i jacked it up several times and everything in the front end is tight. noise wasnt really getting any worse until recently. i was under it the other day and turning the front driveshaft there is a bunch of play in the front. not cool. for the cost im tempted to get a cherokee front 30 and convert it to sfa but i really dont want to spend the time right now, im in the middle of a wagoneer project.

you can drive them with no cvs and front diff, right? id like to get a better idea whats going on in there before i start dreaming.
a local guy has a set of 4.10s and install kits for sale. if hell come down on the price a little i guess ill go that route.

jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i went and took another look at it, put it in nuetral, it looks like i have 2x the amount of play in the front diff vs the rear. on the front if i twist the yoke, it turns 3/8". it used to only make noise when you were just taking off, 15-20 mph it would go away. now when im on th egas the noise is there, when i coast it goes away. that kind of makes me think its not the front.
Unread 07-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i just pumped out the front and rear gear oil, its clean. i changed it when i bought it. i was wondering if maybe one of them was full of water. i notice the passenger side front cv where it comes out of the housing there is a good amount of play in it. is that normal im picturing it sliding into a short axle, and thinking some play would be normal there but how much?
Unread 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Pull the front driveshaft and see if that helps, hard to determine a noise in line as you know
How many total miles are on it, could be the intermediate shaft / CV on the right side as well
Unread 07-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

136,000 i replaced the cv on the driveshaft around 110,000. it had this weird noise for a while, sort of like another post on here like a thumping/howl that was relative to wheel speed except it would go away once you got on the highway. last night was the first time i noticed a steady howl while on the gas. im not sure how much play there is supposed to be on the right side front intermediate shaft to cv but it seemed like a lot to me. inside the jeep, it sounds like its coming from the front, but i find it kind of weird that hitting the gas effect it since its not getting any power in 2wd.
Unread 07-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

But everything in the front is still turning no matter if it is two wheel or four wheel, everything still continues to turn
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i know it still turns, but the diff is always coasting, if you are accelrating or not. thats just kind of weird to me. guess ill pull the driveshaft today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.