I need help finding a replacement radiator for an 03 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > I need help finding a replacement radiator for an 03 Liberty

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 09-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
bhawkins1978
2003 KJ Liberty 

I need help finding a replacement radiator for an 03 Liberty

I've found dozens of places that sell replacement radiators, but the problem is that they all include Transmision Oil Coolers, therefore there are connections on the radiator for the transmission fluid lines. My Liberty has the 42RLE transmission which uses an oil cooler seperate from the radiator, so the replacement I get should not include connections for the transmission fluid, and I cannot find a replacement that does not have these connections.

Can I use a replacement radiator that has an internal transmission oil cooler, but leave those connections open/unused? Should I get plugs for them?

bhawkins1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
PNW05KJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...rder=Ascending

Try these guys.
PNW05KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Just ignore the oil cooler lines on the new rad. There is no need to plug them.

To quote from the FAQ on the Radiator Express site...

The Radiator you shipped has extra lines that I don't need, why?

Don't panic!! The extra nipples (TOC, the transmission cooler, or EOC, engine oil cooler) do not need to be capped off and you have in fact received the correct part. It's a closed system - a single bar travels from one connection to the other for each system without interacting with the tube-and-fin area of the radiator.

I know, I know… you are imagining the waterfall of coolant all over the place that looks like it will inevitably result from filling the radiator, and you don't believe me. Just cover one of the connections and blow air through the other.. You'll see its just a little pipe. The transmission or engine coolant is cooled through the metal of this pipe - it never interacts with the radiator. For this reason, manufacturer's make the automatic version of a radiator and no manual versions... keeps us from making any mistakes!
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

IMO it's a great thing that replacement rads now come with the trans cooler included. Gives you the option of adding the in-radiator transmission cooling to the stand-alone cooler the KJ came with from the factory. If you don't want the trans cooler lines in the radiator just leave the plastic plugs in the fittings.

Here's how I upgraded my KJ to HD cooling. Pretty simple process and adding the in-radiator transmission cooler prevents the trans fluid temp from spiking while wheeling or towing.

My 2 cents...

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
liberty , oil , radiator , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.