I have a 05 liberty CRD with a no start condition - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > I have a 05 liberty CRD with a no start condition

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Reply
Unread 09-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
inpursole
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4
I have a 05 liberty CRD with a no start condition

I have a 2005 liberty 2.8 CRD it doesn't want to start it has no DTC's. Fuel is good clean and no air in lines no matter what I do I can't get it started

inpursole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
goatscrd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sunshine state
Posts: 34
Does it crank?
goatscrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
inpursole
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4
yes cranks fine just doesn't start
inpursole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
CATCRD
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 156
The ECU is looking for signals from the crank position sensor and cam position sensor before it fires. If it doesn't see them - no fire. Could be a bad sensor.
CATCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
inpursole
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4
replaced cam sensor, checked resistance of wires, 5volt ref, ground,and signal wires are good, checked my powers and grounds at ECU and no problems found
inpursole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
inpursole
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4
crank sensor reads fine on scanner
inpursole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
merlinTec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: England
Posts: 2,944
does your scanner read fuel pressure? if it's not getting over 1000 psi the ecu will not pulse the injectors.
__________________
UK Chrysler Jeep Master Tec.
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
libertybratt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ca
Posts: 4
I have the same problem with my 02 liberty
I have no fuel pressure and it will not start
the starter turns the motor fast though

is there something I can do

Is the check engine light supposed to come on for a moment with key on before you start the motor?
the cel never comes on at all right now though
libertybratt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
shawn1819
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
i have a 2005 crd diesel and she has no power and blowing black smoke put her on code reader and a lot of codes came up that dont make scene anyone have this problem before
that can help
shawn1819 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Giffie
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Richards Bay, kzn south africa
Posts: 3
i have a 2003 crd swapped motor to 05 not the ecu but not starting any help on this. The ecu is stil of the 03 just extended the crank sensors wiris not getting signal to injectors
Giffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giffie View Post
i have a 2003 crd swapped motor to 05 not the ecu but not starting any help on this. The ecu is stil of the 03 just extended the crank sensors wiris not getting signal to injectors
How can you use a 2003 ECU on a 2005 engine?

There are major differences including the fact that the 2003 has a fixed vane Turbo and the 2005 has a variable vane turbo, 2003 has 12 volt glow plugs and no control from ECU while the 2005 has 7 volt (standard) glow plugs with a seperate glow plug controller.

2003 CRD , Export obviously, use a PCI bus for communications while 2005 uses a CAN bus mainly with only some PCI usage.

2003 CRD has the Alternator charge rate monitored and set by the ECU...2005/6/7 alternator has a built-in regulator.

The EGR is worked differently, 2003 does not have a Flow Control Valve, 2005 has an airflow sensor on the air intake.

Fuel delivery rates will be different etc.

Yes the engine in theory may start and run badly but there are so many sensors around on this engine doing various checks that I would only consider putting a 2005 CRD engine into a 2003 chassis if I could replace the ECU, TCM (if fitted) and complete wiring harness at the same time.

I think I have just answered your question for you


All of you guys having problems here on this post with your CRDs...I would suggest you go to the "CRD Liberty Love the Torque" section at:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum

All the experts are there!
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:50 AM   #12
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,053
Also the most common problem with the CRD engine turning over but not starting is air in the fuel at the filter head.

Also try swap over the ASD relay with an identical one next to it or jumper pins 30 and 87 together inside the ASD Relay socket and see what happens.
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #13
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1819 View Post
i have a 2005 crd diesel and she has no power and blowing black smoke put her on code reader and a lot of codes came up that dont make scene anyone have this problem before
that can help
Holy dead thread resurection Batman!

If you are still having this problem then it is probably your CAC rubber hoses going to the Intercooler and back that have splits in them.

Best to replace with SAMCO Silicone hoses.
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
Giffie
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Richards Bay, kzn south africa
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
How can you use a 2003 ECU on a 2005 engine?

There are major differences including the fact that the 2003 has a fixed vane Turbo and the 2005 has a variable vane turbo, 2003 has 12 volt glow plugs and no control from ECU while the 2005 has 7 volt (standard) glow plugs with a seperate glow plug controller.

2003 CRD , Export obviously, use a PCI bus for communications while 2005 uses a CAN bus mainly with only some PCI usage.

2003 CRD has the Alternator charge rate monitored and set by the ECU...2005/6/7 alternator has a built-in regulator.

The EGR is worked differently, 2003 does not have a Flow Control Valve, 2005 has an airflow sensor on the air intake.

Fuel delivery rates will be different etc.

Yes the engine in theory may start and run badly but there are so many sensors around on this engine doing various checks that I would only consider putting a 2005 CRD engine into a 2003 chassis if I could replace the ECU, TCM (if fitted) and complete wiring harness at the same time.

I think I have just answered your question for you


All of you guys having problems here on this post with your CRDs...I would suggest you go to the "CRD Liberty Love the Torque" section at:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum

All the experts are there!
HI Billwill please contact me with your experts as i'm stuck with this problem0837851559
Giffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #15
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giffie View Post
HI Billwill please contact me with your experts as i'm stuck with this problem0837851559
Sorry Giffie, I make no claim to be an expert....that is why I recommended that you go to the "Liberty CRD Love The Torque" section at:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum

If they cannot help you then you may as well give up!
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.