I can't get my ignition key out.... any ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > I can't get my ignition key out.... any ideas

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

I can't get my ignition key out.... any ideas

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble getting the ignition kley out of the car and have to leave it in and lock the doors with the remote control. Its a 2002 Jeep Cherokee(Liberty). I have a suapicion that there may be an interlock that won't let you remove it unless the gear lever is in park but can't be sure. Any other ideas as to why I can't remove it and if all else fails is it a big job to fit a new lock mechanism...

many thanks in advance

Andy

AndyTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yep the shift interlock went bad or just needs to be adjusted in your JEEP.
Unread 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for that, I've just been called away to a job for 2 weeks so will get right onto it when I return. Many thanks again

AndyT
Unread 11-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

I guess you are not taking the Jeep with you, but if you are you can easily disconnect the cable at the shifter to get the key in and out. All you have to do is pop out the face plate. Careful though because if you do this the shifter can be moved to any gear at any time.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7794 View Post
I guess you are not taking the Jeep with you, but if you are you can easily disconnect the cable at the shifter to get the key in and out. All you have to do is pop out the face plate. Careful though because if you do this the shifter can be moved to any gear at any time.
Thanks for that - I'm now offshore on an oil rig so no didn't bring the jeep with me... I also bought a Haynes manual with me and there is a good description of the problem there so hopefully thats what it is and it should be fairly easy to resolve.

Thanks again everyone - most helpful forum

AndyT

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.