How To: Roof Rack Crossbars on the Cheap ! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > How To: Roof Rack Crossbars on the Cheap !

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 01-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #31
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outfitter1 View Post
These homemade crossbars look great but they sure are noisey! I drive about 98% highway and they are just too loud to leave up there unless you need to use them. Seems like the air is forced down onto the roof and I can feel the vibration from this inside with my hand on the headliner. Amazing how loud it is once you reach 40mph or so.
Anyone else had the same issue and maybe a fix? Seems like the conduit is a lot bigger than needs to be so maybe a smaller size would cut down the noise and drag?

I have had wind noise on occasion, depends a lot on where the wind direction is coming from and how deep the skinny peddle is. Usually don't tend to even notice it unless I'm at interstate speed or a real strong headwind and don't have the sat radio turned on.

Not too hard to remove though if you don't carry cargo very often. You could even fab up a wind deflector for the leading edge of the front cross bar if so inclined & you don't want to fiddle with the remove/reinstall thing.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #32
Si_FI
2005 KJ Liberty 

cross bar fixes

I did notice some wind noise, but with a CB antenna, some after market lamps, and a bug deflector, it really wasn't loud enough to make a difference. Speaking of bug deflectors, I found one at a junk yard from an old Chevy K series pickup. It's pretty much just a five foot long flat piece of tinted poly carb, but it makes a fantastic wind deflector for the roof racks. The factory deflectors off the Nissan Xterra fit nicely too, but the Xterra logo is etched into the plastic and I couldn't bring myself to use it
Si_FI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #33
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I really don't notice it except on rare occasions with the right wind and no tunes. I used an old bug deflector from an early 90's GM truck to put on the Rolla basket. It was new and it was free - so I figured it should be re-purposed for a good cause.

If it ever gets redone (way down on the list of things), most likely will go for a taller flat one & bring it down pretty close to the roof line. Maybe will just cut up another one of those deflectors and attach it to the bottom of the existing one so there is very little gap. Ahhh - maybe I'll just leave it as is.

Here is a older prelifted pic (again) with the old GY ST tires of death.

Unread 01-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
Si_FI
2005 KJ Liberty 

roof rack

Be careful how close to the roof you mount the wind deflector. If you get to close it tends to act like a harmonica You don't remember the part number or model number for your roof basket to you?
Si_FI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #35
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_FI View Post
Be careful how close to the roof you mount the wind deflector. If you get to close it tends to act like a harmonica You don't remember the part number or model number for your roof basket to you?

Good call, don't need a harmonica on the top of this crate.

Rola Vortex Cargo Basket - thier part # 59504

At the time the cheapest was etrailer.com (or close to that) & they had free shipping at the time. Don't know how often they run that though.

Unread 01-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #36
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post
Yeah, I really don't notice it except on rare occasions with the right wind and no tunes. I used an old bug deflector from an early 90's GM truck to put on the Rolla basket. It was new and it was free - so I figured it should be re-purposed for a good cause.

If it ever gets redone (way down on the list of things), most likely will go for a taller flat one & bring it down pretty close to the roof line. Maybe will just cut up another one of those deflectors and attach it to the bottom of the existing one so there is very little gap. Ahhh - maybe I'll just leave it as is.

Here is a older prelifted pic (again) with the old GY ST tires of death.

The roof basket looks good. One of the guys on the other forum just got one of those but I don't think he is in a hurry to install it in below zero temps.

I like the green grass and tree with leaves on it too.....haha
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #37
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ha ha, it sure doesn't look like that outside now. Last week -37F, and -45F a couple of counties over. But it is a balmy 8F tonight, darn near t-shirt weather. Would be a perfect install time up here, at least until things go sub-arctic again this weekend.

Unread 01-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #38
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Could you put up a wind block to prevent that Alberta clipper from coming this way?
99 Harley Sportster
88 Ford 350 diesel dump truck
02 Northwing Maverick Legend weight shift trike
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #39
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well.... OK. I start bribing the weather scribes for a little extra help.

Unread 02-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #40
mocktwo
2004 KJ Liberty 

im not clear on this. are you guys getting wind noise from just the bars ? or only with the basket on top of them. i want to make these for my kayaks but im second guessing it due to the noise i do a ton of high way driving

Last edited by mocktwo; 02-26-2011 at 05:21 PM..
mocktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #41
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Adding any crossbars will create some wind noise, be them homemade, thule, yakima, whatever. Adding a basket will create more.
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #42
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

With or without the basket there is minimal wind noise if the wind itself is coming from the right direction. Definitely minimal, for me it is not really noticeable with the radio going.

Unread 04-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #43
07LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Wind Noise

I just finished putting mine on and found them to look great.
I took the Jeep for a drive with them on and immediately noticed the noise they created.
I have experienced this type of noise before in a work van with ladders on top.
The ladders with the open tubes make the same noise. The ladders with closed tubes don't make the noise.
I am going to plug the ends of the tubes and see what happens to the noise.
Will post my findings.
07LIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #44
Tpr430
2012 KK Liberty 

Has anybody been able to locate any of the T Clamps? I'd love to do this.
Tpr430 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #45
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Post #20 - Si Fi located a new source.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.