How To: Roof Rack Crossbars on the Cheap ! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > How To: Roof Rack Crossbars on the Cheap !

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
tjguy26
2006 KJ Liberty 

Cross bars

Hey has anyone been able to locate these clamps anymore and if not is there another type I could use.

tjguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'll look around, may still have 2 or 3 of these around somewhere. But you will still need the 1 or 2 more to complete the cross bars. Thats if I can find the ones buried in the depths of boxes in the garage.

If no one else chimes in with some extra's - about the only thing you could do is call every Harbor Frieght in a five state area - one at a time & ask them to search thier inventory for that part number.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #18
tjguy26
2006 KJ Liberty 

Ok thank you
tjguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #19
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Let me know if you come up with 1 or 2. Then I'll start digging.

I do know of one person that had success with calling a ton of Harbor outlets, but he did have a unlimited plan on his cell and a lot of patience.

Unread 03-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
Si_FI
2005 KJ Liberty 

tee fitting availabilty

I feel everyone's pain trying to find the tee fittings that at this point Harbor Freight doesn't remember ever having I too had a bit of trouble locating them. That is until I happened to look at the scaffolding we were using to paint the house and then, much to my amazement, the hand rail at the store we rented it from. It seems both use the same tee fittings. Check out these sites

Rail Fittings then scroll down to item 160

Quik Klamp Clamp-On Tees - FarmTek

The price may not be $0.87, but hey, we can't all be so lucky I picked mine up from boundary fence for five bucks each and scored free shipping. They work great so far for carrying my canoe, and not to restart an old argument, but I didn't have to bend the pipe Some of the other fittings they carry look pretty interesting too. I'm thinking of some custom light mounts from #185.
Si_FI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #21
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Si Fi - first post here, welcome to JF

Excellent find! I'm sure many folks have given up on tracking these down.

Unread 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #22
Si_FI
2005 KJ Liberty 

roof rack

Thanks for the greetings

I figured a few folks might appreciate some help finding those tee fittings. And besides, I spent countless hours tracking them down so I wanted some recognition
Si_FI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #23
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

I think I will make some of these for my Liberty tonight!
Turbobearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Go for it! One of the most useful mod's I've ever done. As has been posted B4 - test fit your pipes, you may very well be one of the fortunate ones that fits without needing to bend the pipes.

Unread 10-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #25
jcollins
2005 KJ Liberty 

I recently made these and absolutely love them. Turns out that the company that makes the "tee clamps" is a short drive away from me so I just went to their warehouse and picked them up along with a couple of miscut sections of the fence rail. The folks that I dealt with at Farm-Tek (Dyersville, Iowa) were great. Super nice and very helpful. Highly recommended! In my case, bending the cross rails wasnt absolutely needed but I still gave the a very slight bend due to the fact that I only had 1/4" clearance in the front. A couple of shots of rubberized undercoating and I was done.
jcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #26
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
I recently made these and absolutely love them. Turns out that the company that makes the "tee clamps" is a short drive away from me so I just went to their warehouse and picked them up along with a couple of miscut sections of the fence rail. The folks that I dealt with at Farm-Tek (Dyersville, Iowa) were great. Super nice and very helpful. Highly recommended! In my case, bending the cross rails wasnt absolutely needed but I still gave the a very slight bend due to the fact that I only had 1/4" clearance in the front. A couple of shots of rubberized undercoating and I was done.

I still like these things better than most mods I've done.

Sure beats the absolutely crazy prices for big brand name cross bars.

Great to see the Farm-Tek Tee Clamps do the job.

Unread 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #27
Nicho
2006 TJ Wrangler 

X3 on the rack- nice job. I have the Yakima set up on mine and it looks a bit "top hattish" especially when loaded.

I like the low profile set up on yours that still allows for a deep tray for gear. Nice job man.
Nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #28
Outfitter1

Roar....

These homemade crossbars look great but they sure are noisey! I drive about 98% highway and they are just too loud to leave up there unless you need to use them. Seems like the air is forced down onto the roof and I can feel the vibration from this inside with my hand on the headliner. Amazing how loud it is once you reach 40mph or so.
Anyone else had the same issue and maybe a fix? Seems like the conduit is a lot bigger than needs to be so maybe a smaller size would cut down the noise and drag?
Outfitter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:20 AM   #29
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

Anyone have any updates as to where we can get these T-fittings at??? Just got a Libby and would really like to get this mod installed asap...would be great for our snowboards
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #30
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
Anyone have any updates as to where we can get these T-fittings at??? Just got a Libby and would really like to get this mod installed asap...would be great for our snowboards

Check post number "20" - Si_Fi posted a link as to where he found them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.