how to remove connector to oil pressure switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > how to remove connector to oil pressure switch

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
hawk1996

how to remove connector to oil pressure switch

On a 2002 liberty v6 does anyone know how to remove the connector on the oil pressure switch? I have pushed down on the little tab and pulled but it still won't come off, is there some other trick I should be doing?

hawk1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
XR
2002 KJ Liberty 

Clean the connector and you'll see a red tab.Push the red tab to the left until it clicks and then push down on the release tab.The red tab is called a secondary lock.
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
vXxo0oxXv

How to remove the oil pressure switch

Just did this on my '05 Liberty.

The switch is about 2 inches above the oil filter.

There is a red tab on electrical connector you have to push to one side. It will click when you push it. On the same side of the connector, there is a black release tab you have to squeeze fairly tightly, and the connector should pull out. I broke the tab on mine, trying to pry it in the wrong direction (away from the connector), and had to use a dentist hook to pull up on the clips that the release tab controls.

Once you have the electrical connector removed, it's time to unscrew the actual switch.

Using a pressure switch socket, a ratchet, and a 6-inch extention, I was able to unscrew the switch without removing any other parts (a little oil will leak).

Ratcheted the new sender in.
Threw some electrolytic grease on the connector, and reconnected it.

Now I'm waiting to see if P0522 code goes away
vXxo0oxXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
extrucker

Beware

Verify correct pressure with a real gauge to eliminate internal problems. After trying 2 after-market oil pressure sensors with no results, I installed an OEM sensor, problem solved.
extrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
OrneryA
2002 KJ Liberty 

Replacing the Oil Pressure Sender Unit

After reading the previous posts the job became doable. However, since I'm an amateur weekend mechanic, not all of my questions where answered. This is what I did to the letter: drove the truck up on ramps, removed the + battery terminal, took off the crash guard & unscrewed the oil filter. As stated before, the electrical connector to the sensor has a double locking feature with a red tab that serves as the backup. I used a snake camera to see from underneath through the space between front bumper & torsion rod. Imagine looking at the red tab from the wire end & seeing it on top of the connector. The red tab sticks out more on the left side. This is the locked position. Push it to the right & it will click. I couldn't get my fingers up there so I used a screw driver. I then squeezed the connector from top to bottom (or with fingers at 12 & 6 o'clock) & the electrical connector came off. I couldn't see exactly what was being pinched since it was too dark & dirty up there. The removal socket is a deep 1 1/16" from Sears with a 1/2" drive ($12). The socket has a 1 3/4" well which just barely covers the sensor's crown & makes just acceptable contact with the 6 sided nut. Put on a universal joint, 12" of extensions & a ratchet. I easily unscrewed the sensor & tossed it on the front lawn in disdain. I cleaned the threaded area well with tissues & started the new sensor (Mopar $52) by screwing it in by hand carefully. Tightened it with the set up I used to take the old one out with, cleaned the electrical connector with tissue & snapped it in place. Pushed the red tab from right to left where it clicked. Installed the oil filter, crash pan, + battery cable. The Liberty was leaking 2 quarts every 5,000 miles & the whole underside was a mess. I had visions of a huge garage bill to have the problem fixed, but with the special socket/sensor/snake camera I only spent $157. The camera & socket I can use for other projects so the cost was the $52 Mopar sensor. I didn't want to go cheap with it & have problems later.
OrneryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

You guys were very wise in using the mopar part. I've had the bad luck of arguing with service writers as they sell the cheap parts store garbage, when you really must use the oe part. Aftermarket sensors just don't hold up at all, as they are typically cheap Chinese knock offs.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

This job is much easier if you remove the shroud, mechanical fan and belt.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

After trying 2 autoparts store cheap Chinese pieces of crap I ordered an OEM part today.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360632324520...84.m1423.l2649
DarkSport11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
galexander17

I have a 02 jeep liberty 3.7L, is it a fairly easy process to replace the unit? A better question is, do i have to remove and parts to work on it? thanks
galexander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

It can be a knuckle buster but best to do it when changing the oil. It's right above the filter. See OrneryA post above. 1 1/16 deep socket fits like a glove. Make sure you get the Mopar sensor. The aftermarkets fit but are not the correct sensor. I used an AM one a few years back and it would trip the warning light around 1500-2000 RPMs all the time. If I remember correctly the aftermarket sensors are designed for gauges not the simple warning light we have.

I guess if you have a reason you could move the PS pump out of the way and get to it from the front but not necessary.
02blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blue View Post
I If I remember correctly the aftermarket sensors are designed for gauges not the simple warning light we have
Depends where you buy. If you look on RockAuto, for instance, the different sensors listed under "oil pressure sender/switch" have a note indicating if they're for use with a gauge or a light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galexander17
is it a fairly easy process to replace the unit? A better question is, do i have to remove and parts to work on it?
The FSM procedure involves lifting the Jeep so that the front suspension droops and then going in from the driver side wheelwell; once you remove the splash shield, you can get directly onto the sensor.

I'll be replacing mine at the same time I replace my belt and tensioner. With the fan and belt out of the way there should be plenty of access.

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Depends where you buy. If you look on RockAuto, for instance, the different sensors listed under "oil pressure sender/switch" have a note indicating if they're for use with a gauge or a light.
Excellent, they didn't have the "light" option when I ordered mine a few years ago. Wonder if someone complained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
The FSM procedure involves lifting the Jeep so that the front suspension droops and then going in from the driver side wheelwell; once you remove the splash shield, you can get directly onto the sensor.
Great tip.
02blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.