How to reliably source a replacement engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > How to reliably source a replacement engine?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
LibertyDriver

How to reliably source a replacement engine?

My engine is beyond repair. I took it to the dealership and they have a list of 7 things wrong with it. I have found a reliable mechanic who can put in a new engine. This is my only option as I can't afford a new vehicle and I need this one to get me through another couple of years. It's a 2003 Liberty Limited.

I don't know where to start. Do I let this mechanic find an engine for me or do I get a reconditioned one online? I've looked and found a company called PowerSource. They have so many websites that any google search seems to lead to them.

Does anyone have any experience with them, any experience sourcing a new engine or any recommendations? Also, if I let the mechanic find an engine I've read that I can get a Carfax history report on it. Is that correct?

Any input would be much appreciated.

LibertyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Use the Car-Part.com website to search for a 3.7 liter from any Chrysler product from 2002 through 2011. You'll need to make a couple of mods if you use an engine from 2005 or later but the block itself is the same. The cost is much less than a reman - especially if you get an engine from a vehicle OTHER than a Liberty - and you should be able to find one with fairly low miles.

Here is a thread that gives more detail. PM me if your mechanic has more questions.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
LibertyDriver

Thank you so much for your response. I need to clarify a few things. I'm going into this blind. So you're saying that these Chrysler engines are all the same? If not then what am I specifically looking for?

I'm looking to spend under $2000 on the engine. I need it here by Tuesday, I have to have my car up and running by Thursday. I want to get as low a mileage as possible. I did a search a messaged the first 10 or so asking how quickly they can get it to me. Beyond that how do I know who is reputable? I'm in a rush but I don't want to make a mistake.

Thank you again for your help. You're very much appreciated.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
LibertyDriver

Just to add that my engine has 113,000 miles on it and my two major concerns are time and reliability. Thanks.
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyDriver View Post
Thank you so much for your response. I need to clarify a few things. I'm going into this blind. So you're saying that these Chrysler engines are all the same? If not then what am I specifically looking for?

I'm looking to spend under $2000 on the engine. I need it here by Tuesday, I have to have my car up and running by Thursday. I want to get as low a mileage as possible. I did a search a messaged the first 10 or so asking how quickly they can get it to me. Beyond that how do I know who is reputable? I'm in a rush but I don't want to make a mistake.

Thank you again for your help. You're very much appreciated.
The long block (block, cylinder heads, timing cover) are the same but the oil pan, intake manifold and exhaust manifolds are different depending on whether you get a Jeep Liberty engine or another Chrysler product. Read through the thread I linked to for the specifics of what you need to use from your existing engine in order for it to work in your Jeep.

Unless you find a Liberty engine from an '03 or '04 and can do a quick swap it is unlikely you can meet your timeline. Having it running by Thursday isn't impossible but it will take a LOT of work and will require that pretty much everything goes perfectly. Projects like this always have a bump in the road somewhere.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.