How to pull a 2002 jeep liberty 3.7 engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > How to pull a 2002 jeep liberty 3.7 engine

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 06-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
jstick911

How to pull a 2002 jeep liberty 3.7 engine

Lucky me gets to replace my engine and I've ner done it before. Just moved to Charlottesville Va. to start a new job and moneys tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

140,006 miles and she would not start. Had a p0320 which is #2 misfire. Checked plugs, coils, injectors, valve springs, rockers and lifters before I pulled the head. The piston is chewed up pretty bad and so is the head.

With so many miles on it I figure find a junk yard engine with a warrenty or go to Advanced auto parts for a new one.

If anyone knows of a good place to get the engine and any links for how to replace it would be AWESOME! I looked around on here and surprisingly, came up empty.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
(because god knows I need it)!

Jstick911

jstick911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You buy oil,bulbs,and brake cleaner at advance auto,not engines that you want to last longer then a few months.Look at Jasper reman's for the engine.

As far as pulling the engine it's not hard at all,just need a cherry picker and a 36"+ long extension for the top 2 bell housing bolts(you know what I'm talking about when you get that far).
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

LKQ is one source for used engines with a warranty. An engine pull is pretty involved, needing a cherry picker, a few tools etc. I would suggest you find a local to give you a hand, as its a bit more then reading instructions. Theres a chunk of weight you are dealing with, and one thing done wrong can destroy something, or get someone seriously hurt. I wouldnt even consider an engine from Advanced, AZ, or about any of the parts places really.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
jstick911

I found one for 3,320 from advanced just now. They come with a warrenty so I cant really see a prob with using them. Anyway I'll definitely check those other places and thanks for the input. I'd be pulling the engine with a chain fall and removing the hood. I build and service elevators so I think I can do this.
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Problem with companies that rely on warranties, especially when you are doing the work... you dont want to have to use them. The companies that do the rebuilds for the parts store chains, dont have a strong reputation in the repair industry. Why? Because we dont like redoing work because of shortcuts and sloppy workmanship at the rebuilder's end. You end up with a pissed off customer, and in our case, we might get some labor reimbursement, but it rarely covers what we have invested. Via Jasper, which has a stronger reputation, but not as strong as an OE reman unit, $3400 bucks plus the install kit, which I strongly recommend, etc. Strong warranty nationwide. Not doubting your skills, but Ive worked with, and trained ex-GIs who worked on tanks, choppers, aircraft, etc, and some were good, alot were bad. I'm decent at what I do, but I wouldnt go tinkering on an elevator, unless I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night,lol. If you've never done it, get a friend, preferably one with some experience, to chip in and help.
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
jstick911

Thanks for the input. I got a buddy that has worked at a dealership for 15 years, a brotherinlaw who owns and works on his race car and another guy who owns his shop in Fairfax Va. So I'm good on having people if I need the help but thanks for the concern and I will look up those places to get a motor.

Okay now I take it nobody has any idea of a LINK to how to pull the engine?
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
jstick911

Bump

Last edited by jstick911; 06-12-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
jstick911

Found a motor from jasper for 2500 and a few more on car-parts.com. That's not a bad site if your looking for a used motor.

Still hopping for some advise or a link for the motor replacement if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Jstick911
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

If you go to Alldata, or Mitchell on Demand, those sites have that info, but its pricey for access. Its going to be like finding instructions for installing an elevator. If you need step by step instructions for this, then you need a qualified partner to help you to keep you out of trouble. Basics are, remove battery, remove fan and fan shroud, starter, alternator, p/s pump, a/c compressor. Undo torque converter bolts/nuts, coolant hoses, fuel lines, electrical connectors, throttle cable, etc. Support transmission, undo bellhousing bolts, use already attached lift mechanism to partially support engine weight, remove motormount bolts, and lift. Thats the abridged version.
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
jstick911

2005 KJ Liberty is the MAN!! Thanks man! Ive just never pulled a motor and needed to be put in simple terms. I'll post here forto let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks Again!
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
kittenmittens

2005 TJ Wrangler 

i replaced my motor at 230k got it from a place that sells re manufactured 3.7 / 4.7 and it was 2300 after i sent back my core with a 50k mile warranty. it is a lot of work replacing them. i found that the worst part for me was all of the connections with those annoying red clips on them ha ha. and my cheap solution for a motor lift was mounting my winch to the I-Beam in my garage and pulling it out. also make sure you have something to support the trans/t case. I know this i a little late but if you want the information for the company i got my motor from pm me. i also have pictures of the whole swap.
39447654024_large.jpg   39447654025_large.jpg   39447654026_large.jpg  
kittenmittens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
jstick911

Nice man!! Yeah still waiting on my motor. Got it for about the same price. Will post pics and the total price when I'm done. Thanks for the reply!!
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
jstick911

This is it coming out. Saw you pulled your grill and bumper, probably a lot easier but you don't have too. Supported my trans with a jack then a ratchet strap because I had to roll it back onto gravel. Posted a picture of the pick point too, shallow drill and tap to 3/8 standard thread. Held like a champ! I used quick bolts and a jam nut, only an elevator man would have thought of that. LOL.

should have the motor next week, takes forever because they are back ordered on them. That tells me a lot are going bad, wonder how many are #2 cylinder with not a lot of miles. Seemed like a big problem once I knew to google it.

You got any advice or pics of the install??
image-2651935670.jpg   image-4073502270.jpg   image-1732745958.jpg  
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
jstick911

Also a pic of my HUGH wild toad I named Jasper who I feed every bug I could catch and a bronco from a car show.
image-664046355.jpg   image-3653977486.jpg   image-1499116977.jpg   image-2504608808.jpg   image-2747258865.jpg  

image-1870159861.jpg  
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

jstick

Hope things go smoothly on your replacement.

And, by the way - nice toad. Keep feeding him till it's the size of a pie plate.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.