How many brake calipers have locked up on you? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > How many brake calipers have locked up on you?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpohio View Post
I think that is why I posted this. I know of 2 other people with Libertys that have had failed calipers. I just wanted to see if there were many others.

Maybe there are only 3 of us out here.

Actually, the truth is that Jeep calipers are JUNK. Do you want me to list all the Jeep vehicles that have been through numerous caliper revisions trying to correct customer complaints??

I know of a TON of KJs with faulty calipers. It's rampant on the LOST forums. I personally have already replaced one, and I think I might need to do the rear ones because I'm seeing an abnormal amount of heat and dust back there.

You are not alone, yes Jeep (Chrysler) uses junk brake parts, and inadequately sized brake parts at that. I have only a few complaints, and the brakes are at the top of the list.

'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Rampant on LOST?? I have been on LOST for 6 years and have heard of a few but far from rampant, which would leave one to think there are thousands upon thousands
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
WXman
2001 WJ 

Yes, rampant. If you look at the percentage of LOST members who've had caliper failures, and translate that to the general public who own KJs and don't visit forums....it IS thousands upon thousands.

It got so bad with the 2000s model WJs that Jeep actually changed to completely different calipers and pads trying to correct it. If you own certain models of WJ, you have to know what is currently on your Jeep when you walk into the parts store because they tried so many different styles of caliper trying to make something work.

Even newer (07-up) Chryslers have had recalls lately over brake caliper issues....even on their minivans!

The KJ is no different...CRAPPY single piston calipers built very poorly with TINY brake rotors. The brakes on Jeeps are a total JOKE. Even the guys with lightweight YJs and TJs are looking for brake upgrades!

Our biggest problem on the KJ though isn't the horrible stopping power....it's the fact that the calipers fail and start dragging, reducing fuel economy and wearing parts faster. A TON of folks have threatened class action against Jeep for knowing about this and not fixing it...but it won't do any good.
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 07-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Yes, rampant. If you look at the percentage of LOST members who've had caliper failures, and translate that to the general public who own KJs and don't visit forums....it IS thousands upon thousands.

It got so bad with the 2000s model WJs that Jeep actually changed to completely different calipers and pads trying to correct it. If you own certain models of WJ, you have to know what is currently on your Jeep when you walk into the parts store because they tried so many different styles of caliper trying to make something work.

Even newer (07-up) Chryslers have had recalls lately over brake caliper issues....even on their minivans!

The KJ is no different...CRAPPY single piston calipers built very poorly with TINY brake rotors. The brakes on Jeeps are a total JOKE. Even the guys with lightweight YJs and TJs are looking for brake upgrades!

Our biggest problem on the KJ though isn't the horrible stopping power....it's the fact that the calipers fail and start dragging, reducing fuel economy and wearing parts faster. A TON of folks have threatened class action against Jeep for knowing about this and not fixing it...but it won't do any good.
The 8 years my KJ had stock brakes they never had a issue,never,and I even had rear drums.90% of the brake issues can be avoided with as little as washing the underside of your Jeep often.100% can be avoided if the owners would learn how to drive and actually take care or there vehicles.

Most of the people complaining about there brakes sucking have lifted Jeeps with oversized tires,so yes any stock braking system will suck.
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #20
straight6jeff

crappy pedal feel

Slightly off topic, but something to consider if you have a crappy feel to your pedal, and sub-par braking performance, try different pads/shoes (if you have rear drums). Gone are the days where one size fits all applied. Ceramic pads are great for alloy wheels because they are low dust. Carbon metallic are dustier, but they are far superior for heavy vehicles and towing. I routinely tow a 3500# trailer with my 02KJ, which had been re-frictioned with carbon metallic pads/shoes. The difference is night and day. I have purposely left the trailer brakes off to see how much of a difference the carbon metallic makes (in a closed area, no other traffic). approx 30' decrease in stopping distances. Granted, the metallics wear faster, but they do have a better friction coef.

My 05 recently was swithced to Carbon Metallic, and it made a huge difference also.

Good pads aren't cheap. Plan on spending on the high side of $60 for a good set.
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #21
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Now I know where I have heard WXMan before
Childrens book and Chicken Little running around saying "The sky is falling, The sky is falling"
You make it seem like every other KJ in the world has had brake problems when in fact its more like 1 in 500 or 750. Your math is like a ambulance chasers.
Buy quality parts, fix your problem and stop trying to convince people that there is a "rampant" problem and they will die tomorrow due to their awful faulty brakes
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
WXman
2001 WJ 

Add 2010 Libertys to the list of vehicles recalled for braking problems. It's on the news today.

I am the person keeping it real and honest in a sea of bulls*it on these forums. Thanks to practical guys like me, a lot of fellow Jeepers are saving money Tommudd.
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Add 2010 Libertys to the list of vehicles recalled for braking problems. It's on the news today.

I am the person keeping it real and honest in a sea of bulls*it on these forums. Thanks to practical guys like me, a lot of fellow Jeepers are saving money Tommudd.
practical?
Done with you. Many have tried to discuss things with you but you are a typical know it all
Thanks for you being you
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
WXman
2001 WJ 

Yes, practical. In every sense of the word. When some say drop a grand on suspension, I say you can accomplish the same for $150. When some say you need all new tires I say just buy what you need and you'll be fine. I'm the practical guy that drives a nice Jeep that I love, but I don't spend money where it's not necessary.

As far as trying to discuss things... that is exactly what I do. I give my opinions, and then when guys like you come in and tell me I'm wrong, I stand behind my opinions. That's America, baby.

I've got 85,000 on this Jeep, and I'm looking toward the next 85,000....and I'll get there spending a lot less $$$$ than you. That's called being practical.
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #25
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Yes, practical. In every sense of the word. When some say drop a grand on suspension, I say you can accomplish the same for $150. When some say you need all new tires I say just buy what you need and you'll be fine. I'm the practical guy that drives a nice Jeep that I love, but I don't spend money where it's not necessary.

As far as trying to discuss things... that is exactly what I do. I give my opinions, and then when guys like you come in and tell me I'm wrong, I stand behind my opinions. That's America, baby.

I've got 85,000 on this Jeep, and I'm looking toward the next 85,000....and I'll get there spending a lot less $$$$ than you. That's called being practical.
143,000 on mine and I bet I have less than you do in mine and I bought it new. Only a couple of things have been replaced and they have been normal wear items. Brakes...I changed the fronts out finally at 99,000 miles, rears at 138,000 miles and that's the first time they were touched.
Running tires with some being worn others new is asking for it trust me. Seen too many problems over the years with people trying to get by and doing it wrong.
Oh well again you think you are right and thats all that matters is you think you are
Have a great life! I'm going to!!
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #26
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6jeff View Post
Slightly off topic, but something to consider if you have a crappy feel to your pedal, and sub-par braking performance, try different pads/shoes (if you have rear drums). Gone are the days where one size fits all applied. Ceramic pads are great for alloy wheels because they are low dust. Carbon metallic are dustier, but they are far superior for heavy vehicles and towing. I routinely tow a 3500# trailer with my 02KJ, which had been re-frictioned with carbon metallic pads/shoes. The difference is night and day. I have purposely left the trailer brakes off to see how much of a difference the carbon metallic makes (in a closed area, no other traffic). approx 30' decrease in stopping distances. Granted, the metallics wear faster, but they do have a better friction coef.

My 05 recently was swithced to Carbon Metallic, and it made a huge difference also.

Good pads aren't cheap. Plan on spending on the high side of $60 for a good set.
For a soft pedal switching to braided flex lines will cure that as they do not flex like the OE rubber flex lines.

Quote:

Good luck with that,being a CRD you'll spend more then what my SFA kit cost to keep it running past 150k.

Tags
brake , caliper , stuck , liberty , kj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.