JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   How many brake calipers have locked up on you? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/how-many-brake-calipers-have-locked-up-you-1062883/)

bpohio 07-03-2010 08:40 PM

How many brake calipers have locked up on you?

I bought my '03 Liberty new. A few years ago my brake calipers started locking up 1 at a time over about 2 years. I finally had all 4 new and thought my problems were over. WRONG!!!
Today my right front locked up again. Had it towed home and replaced another.
I know a couple people that have had the same issue with their Libertys.

I was just wondering if anyone has changed more than 5 calipers in 7 years or 122,000 miles. :wave:

Thanks.

tjkj2002 07-03-2010 09:49 PM

Stop buying the cheap stuff and you'll have less issues(mainly the calipers with the plastic pistons),and flushing the brake fluid often helps with this issue also(bleeding alone does not fully do this).

tommudd 07-04-2010 02:43 PM

Like TJKJ stated buy good parts to begin with.
143,000 and still original calipers

05kjrenegade 07-05-2010 08:07 AM

yep happened to us too. havent locked up completely but pretty close. I keep greasing the sliders.

bpohio 07-06-2010 03:12 PM

I'm not buying cheap calipers. Mopar is.
I'm got the first 4 from the dealer. At over $90. each.
And its not the slides locking up its the "Mopar plastic" piston frezing up in the caliper.
I got this one at Autozone for $37 with a lifetime warranty. Screw Mopar.

jamesdart 07-06-2010 03:13 PM

sometimes the brake hoses colapse, they act almost like a check valve they dont allow the fluid to go back to the master cylinder.

tommudd 07-06-2010 03:18 PM

Have you flushed the system really well?

tjkj2002 07-06-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpohio (Post 9743835)
I'm not buying cheap calipers. Mopar is.
I'm got the first 4 from the dealer. At over $90. each.
And its not the slides locking up its the "Mopar plastic" piston frezing up in the caliper.
I got this one at Autozone for $37 with a lifetime warranty. Screw Mopar.

See this in my 1st post........

Quote:

Stop buying the cheap stuff and you'll have less issues(mainly the calipers with the plastic pistons)

bpohio 07-06-2010 07:42 PM

Well if you have a source to replace the factory plastic pistoned calipers with some real steel ones I'm all ears.

I've been driving for 29 years now and this is the first vehicle I've ever owned that I changed a caliper on. I don't think it's my driving style, it's the JUNK parts Chrysler is using.

Clockworkorange 07-06-2010 09:02 PM

BP, thats a bad word these days.
How are you determining that it is the pistons that are seizing up?
The reason that I ask is, I just did a 4 wheel brake job on my 52,000 mile Liberty and the pistons moved back into the caliper with relative ease and the finished job is a big improvement.
The pads were not really needed yet but when I jacked up the wheels and tried to spin the tires, they were quite tight. This was not caused by the pistons siezing in the bore. It was the sliders siezing up.
The sliders have nice stainless steel caps on them that give the impression that all you have to do is lube them.
What is realy going on, especially in the northern climes, is the salt gets under those deceptively bright and shiney SS caps and rust builds up pushing the SS caps out and pushing against the pads which then sieze in postion and are no longer free to move around as they need to.
Note the orientation of the SS caps, pry them off, and with a sharp scraper or emery cloth, ( scraper works better) get as close to bare metal as you can, grease them, put the SS caps back on and your done.
Before the job described above I would let up on the brake just before it stops and it felt like the brakes were still being applied. It would stop abruptly.
Now when I let up on the brake just before the jeep stops, it will now drift for a good distance.

bpohio 07-07-2010 02:59 PM

The phenolic piston was sticking in the caliper. When I jacked up the vehicle and had someone push the brake pedal the piston came out and did not release. I pushed it in with a C clamp and the same thing happened again.

The slides that you are talking about are on the bracket that holds the caliper. I did nothing with these slides on any of the 4 wheels. (I changed all 4 calipers at different times). I just bolted the new caliper to them and all was good again.

Now, about 3 years later, it seems that the cycle is starting again. I stand by my statement that Chrysler is using JUNK calipers.

tommudd 07-07-2010 03:11 PM

So since you are having problems and hundreds of thousand more are not then its all due to Chrysler using junk parts ?
Just want to make sure I am getting this right?

bpohio 07-07-2010 04:57 PM

I think that is why I posted this. I know of 2 other people with Libertys that have had failed calipers. I just wanted to see if there were many others.

Maybe there are only 3 of us out here. :dunno:

tjkj2002 07-07-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpohio (Post 9750403)
I think that is why I posted this. I know of 2 other people with Libertys that have had failed calipers. I just wanted to see if there were many others.

Maybe there are only 3 of us out here. :dunno:

Well 3 out of 1.2 million is not bad.Mass production,ain't it a b***h:duhrock:

Try Napa for better calipers,if I remember right you can get them with/without the plastic pistons.

straight6jeff 07-08-2010 10:26 AM

BPOHIO, When you push on the brake pedal, take a look at the hoses, do they swell at all? When the pedal is released, do they collapse? A collapsed hose will hold the piston from returning, in essence,a stuck piston.

Your dealer may also have old stock, with dried seals.

Also, pads and calipers should come with new sliders. It is imperative to remove the sliders and scrape the rust out from underneath (as Clockworkorange said previously).

I live in NH and have to pull the sliders apart on an annual basis to keep them free, on my 02 KJ, 05 KJ, and 01 Grand Marq.

The time now is 07:04 AM.