JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   How do I make a Jeep Sport look like a Renegade? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/how-do-i-make-jeep-sport-look-like-renegade-1604385/)

dancristo 09-19-2013 07:54 PM

How do I make a Jeep Sport look like a Renegade?

I just picked up an '04 Jeep Liberty Sport, and I hate the dull gray stock fenders.

I'm looking to replace them with something more aggressive looking, perhaps more like a Renegade.

Any suggestions on products that might be able to help?

tommudd 09-19-2013 09:42 PM

Ah,.... well how about a set of Renegade flares
If you like that look then swap them out
Not anymore aggressive, same size as what you have but that is about the only choice

02jeepliberty 09-20-2013 02:55 PM

Shine them up with turtle wax's back to black plastic conditioner. I have a white 2002 sport and after using this, my fenders were back to the dark grey they used to be. Looks awesome!

01CHEEKEE 09-20-2013 07:19 PM

Spend more than it's worth trying to source a set of renegade fenders...unless things have changed, no one makes them

tommudd 09-20-2013 07:54 PM

OR get some from the junk yard
Thats what I did and have less than 100 bucks

02jeepliberty 09-20-2013 10:50 PM

It'll be hard to find renegade fenders, especially a full set. I've tried looking in almost the whole state of Illinois and had no luck, however I did find ones that were in horrible condition (missing the fake rivets, scratched, scuffed) so good luck trying to find a good, full, matching set. But seriously the back to black stuff works awesome and lasts a while.

DaveJKJ 09-21-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty (Post 16190129)
It'll be hard to find renegade fenders, especially a full set. I've tried looking in almost the whole state of Illinois and had no luck, however I did find ones that were in horrible condition (missing the fake rivets, scratched, scuffed) so good luck trying to find a good, full, matching set. But seriously the back to black stuff works awesome and lasts a while.

Agree.......... Finding 4 good Renegade flares in a salvage yard is probably almost impossible. Consider trying the "back to black" first. Works good and costs way less and you might like it.

tommudd 09-21-2013 07:01 AM

impossible ? Maybe but you can always find two or three Renegades and get the whole set. You all give up too easy :laugh:

Plus the Back to Black crap will only last a short time , been there tried it and kept using it almost weekly. Finally plastidipped the sport flares . Someday I'll install the renegade flares I got from the junk yard

02jeepliberty 09-21-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd
impossible ? Maybe but you can always find two or three Renegades and get the whole set. You all give up too easy :laugh: Plus the Back to Black crap will only last a short time , been there tried it and kept using it almost weekly. Finally plastidipped the sport flares . Someday I'll install the renegade flares I got from the junk yard

maybe it depends in the brand of the stuff. Mine lasts usually a month before I have to reapply it. And I wash the Jeep 2-3 times a week

tommudd 09-21-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty (Post 16206497)
maybe it depends in the brand of the stuff. Mine lasts usually a month before I have to reapply it. And I wash the Jeep 2-3 times a week

Same here wash it often ( 2-3 times a week at least) and it stays in the garage and still doesn't last .
Only stuff I ever found that lasted for a decent amount of time was in Tanzania and of course not available here

heating them up with a heat gun lasts longer than the Back to Black

02jeepliberty 09-21-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd
Same here wash it often ( 2-3 times a week at least) and it stays in the garage and still doesn't last . Only stuff I ever found that lasted for a decent amount of time was in Tanzania and of course not available here heating them up with a heat gun lasts longer than the Back to Black

That's weird. Maybe you should give turtle wax a try, maybe you'll like it.

dancristo 10-20-2013 09:24 AM

I've finally arrived at a happy place for my dull gray fenders. Here's what I did.

First I bought some, "back to black" bumper dye off amazon. Gave the fenders several coats. They look great black, but it was very streaky on some parts. Looked like a poor DIY job, which it was.

Then I went to Walmart and got some rustolium bed liner spray. That stuff is amazing. Gave it a very nice dark gray, matte finish. I like it a lot.

Only problem was the wind when I was spraying, so some got above the tape. Now I need to clean some off of the body which is a pain. Worth it though.

02jeepliberty 10-20-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancristo
I've finally arrived at a happy place for my dull gray fenders. Here's what I did. First I bought some, "back to black" bumper dye off amazon. Gave the fenders several coats. They look great black, but it was very streaky on some parts. Looked like a poor DIY job, which it was. Then I went to Walmart and got some rustolium bed liner spray. That stuff is amazing. Gave it a very nice dark gray, matte finish. I like it a lot. Only problem was the wind when I was spraying, so some got above the tape. Now I need to clean some off of the body which is a pain. Worth it though.

Any pics? I'm interested to see how it turned out.

dancristo 10-20-2013 03:35 PM

rustoleum bed liner fenders

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty (Post 16996354)
Any pics? I'm interested to see how it turned out.

Stock gray fenders:
http://dancristo.com/files/2013/10/stock.jpg

After rustoleum:
http://dancristo.com/files/2013/10/rustolium.jpg

You can't really see in these pictures, but the texture is much different. The stock fenders are smooth, and when covered with rustoleum they are much more textured and matte. It's almost like sandpaper if you were to run your hands over it. It's not as black as I would prefer, but it doesn't bother me like the drab gray ones did.

It also did a nice job of filling in and removing scratches.

FYI - I mentioned earlier that a bunch of rustoleum spray got on the body of the car because of the wind. Turns out that gasoline does a nice job of removing it without damaging the paint. If I were to do it again I would have used both newspaper and painting tape, not just the painting tape.

Next on my to-do list... Tune-up, lift kit, bigger tires, new wheels, alignment then paint job.

profdlp 10-20-2013 04:13 PM

Looking very nice! :cheers2:

The time now is 12:50 AM.