How do I get out of 4 wheel drive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > How do I get out of 4 wheel drive?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Morgansmorgue

How do I get out of 4 wheel drive?

This is my first post to this forum so please help a newbie out.
I have a 2004 Rocky Mtn. edition w/ automatic and I had to use 4-wheel drive for the first time since I bought it back in December in order to get out of the sand here at the beach. I droped the gear shift back to 2 Hi once I got out but the indicator light says I am still in "part time" mode. This happened once before when I bought it and the dealership some how disengaged it for me without me being present to see how to do it. Can anyone tell me if I should ignore it or seek professional help. This is obviously my first 4-wheel drive vehicle. What should I do. I don't need to be in 4-wheel drive when I am just running around town.

Morgansmorgue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
TJJIM79
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Move the lever back into 2hi. You can do this in neutral or on the fly. I always try to shift in neutral though. You might have to move the lever in towards your leg then push the lever down. The sooner you get it out the the less gas you will waste.
TJJIM79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
JoBo

If your driving on paved roads in 4 part time then I would be very concerned about your trnsfercase It could be bound up. Try backing up, put the transmission in "N" and then shift the transfercase to 2HI.
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Eddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgansmorgue
This is my first post to this forum so please help a newbie out.
I have a 2004 Rocky Mtn. edition w/ automatic and I had to use 4-wheel drive for the first time since I bought it back in December in order to get out of the sand here at the beach. I droped the gear shift back to 2 Hi once I got out but the indicator light says I am still in "part time" mode. This happened once before when I bought it and the dealership some how disengaged it for me without me being present to see how to do it. Can anyone tell me if I should ignore it or seek professional help. This is obviously my first 4-wheel drive vehicle. What should I do. I don't need to be in 4-wheel drive when I am just running around town.
If the lever is in 2-Hi then it is in 2-Hi.

The indicator lamp is just controlled by the transfer case position sensor, which has been know to go bad. Don't pay attention to the indicator lamp, just the position of the lever.

I'm not sure on the cost of the position sensor, but it is easy to replace. Top, back left of the transfer case.
Unread 08-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #5
corwyyn
2003 KJ Liberty 

If you're ever in doubt, probably the easiest way to check to see if you are in 2HI is to get on some dirt and try to make a turn - if it turns wider than normal you're still in 4HI. NOTE: Please DONT do this on pavement, as it could potentially cause damage to the drive train. If you turn normally, then like Eddo said its probably the sensor and just another thing to take it to the dealer for
corwyyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
Eddo

Just to expand on corwyyn statement. Also, if you where still in 4wd you would feel lots of binding and wheel hop when making sharp turns on pavement. If it still feels normal, then you are in 2wd.

What JoBo mentions is good if you are truly stuck in 4wd (i.e. the lever will not go back down into 2wd)

Im willing to bet it is just the transfer case position sensor. Its about as easy to replace as a spark plug. Just look at the back of the tranfercase on the drivers side and look for the plug with 4 wires. Actually if you just pull the plug off the sensor the 4wd light should go out.
Unread 08-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
JK2BJeep3
2007 JK Wrangler 

Once I switched out one of the front wheels for the full size spare (was trying to diagnose a strange noise) and I got stuck in 4wd part time. Didn't think twice about the tires when I brought it to the dealer. Apparently the slightest size difference will screw up the 4wd. Put the other tire back on and its been fine since.
JK2BJeep3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
beaverman

My 2004 Liberty has the same problem. I know the four wheel drive is not engaged, but the sensor indicates it is.

Where is a good place, other than the dealer to pick up a new sensor??
beaverman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.