How To Change a front Turn Lamp SOCKET - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > How To Change a front Turn Lamp SOCKET

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
cjhsa
2002 KJ Liberty 

How To Change a front Turn Lamp SOCKET

My 2002 is eating bulbs up there. The housing leaks, which has led to corrosion and the terminals have essentially rusted away. Assuming the clear caulk will fix the leak, how do I get the socket free from the wiring harness? It appears to be a two or even three part unit, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Does the circular portion (with bulb socket) somehow slide and clip into the rectangular piece the harness connects to? Help!

cjhsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the turn lamp socket either. Do you push the tab down, or pull it up? After a lot of fruitless piddling around, I ended up breaking the tab, which at least let me separate the socket from the harness, and when I reconnected it I just wrapped electrical tape around the join. A few years down the line, it's working fine.

BTW, I don't think that factory-trained technicians know how to do it either. When I had to replace the bulb in the opposite side front turn signal, I opened it up to discover... the tab was already broken, and electrical tape wrapped around the join between the harness and the socket. I've had my KJ since new, and the only previous time that bulb was changed, it was done by the dealership...
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
cjhsa
2002 KJ Liberty 

If that's it, then I at least have a clue. I got the red tab on the side out without breaking it (pulled with a small screwdriver back towards the wiring end), but still couldn't figure out how to get it apart.
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
cjhsa
2002 KJ Liberty 

So I go to Autozone yesterday as it's on my way home. They want $12.99 for the stupid thing (It's under $5 online). And of course they don't have one. By the way, they are listed in their online catalog as "Directional Indicator Socket". I've never heard anyone outside of NYC call them "directionals".

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.