how can I tell what trans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > how can I tell what trans

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 06-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

how can I tell what trans

How can I tell what trans I have with out a build sheet still waiting to recieve my buildsheet from chrysler. Looking under the hood I have trans lines running frin the trans to my radiator and back. Do I need ti add a extra cooler or would it be ok. Im ordering the hd cooling fan shroud and mechanical fan in the next few weeks and wanna know if I need anything else

Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nevermind guys found out Ive got the 45rfe and a trany cooler built in to the radiator. Should I still add a stand alone cooler im going to be hauling a 6x12 enclosed trailer from Michigan to texas and will be adding all the hd cooling and a brake controller.
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain98xj View Post
Nevermind guys found out Ive got the 45rfe and a trany cooler built in to the radiator. Should I still add a stand alone cooler im going to be hauling a 6x12 enclosed trailer from Michigan to texas and will be adding all the hd cooling and a brake controller.
I answered your question over in the other post - which you can disregard since you have the 45RFE. Certainly the better of the two trannies installed in the Liberty.

You're in better shape than those running the 42RLE with the standalone trans cooler - your in-rad cooler stabilizes the trans fluid temps much more than the standalone so you don't need an additional cooler. Besides the fact the 45 is a more sturdy unit to begin with. And since you'll be on the highway with air moving over the radiator - and you're adding the HD cooling - you're in great shape.

The biggest issue with towing a trailer - with ANY tow vehicle - is stopping. We can pull a locomotive with our KJ but ain't no way we're gonna stop it. You've CYA with the brake controller you're installing - as long as you drive like you're towing something rather than attempting sports car maneuvers!

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I've pulled my 6X10 enclosed from Northwest Ohio to Boston twice , to Orlando Fla and back once, and all over Ohio and had no issues with over heating etc

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.