Holy MPG!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Holy MPG!!!!!!!!!!

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

The two best things you can do to increase mileage is to take as long as possible getting up to speed and driving SLOWER than the speed limit! Im not a big government kind of guy. With that said the national 55mph speed limit saved BILLIONS of gallons of fuel. If you want save fuel, drive 55mph.

Unread 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
MoD
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjack View Post
I have been looking at getting better fuel mileage on my wives 05 liberty, I put the chevron technician fuel cleaner in maybe 10,000 miles ago and I stay on top of maintenance. I just did a oil change and yesterday and put regular oem champion plugs in and so far it only gets 17.2 mpg which it was getting before. Should I just get different plugs? she will be driving to work one hour one way all highway and I am trying to get every mpg out of the jeep that I can. Should i consider an aftermarket intake and if so which one? I hope it is just the plugs, would be a cheaper route. thanks for any input
i donno. i bought an amsoil replacement air filter. i didnt do some crazy cold air intake or anything just swapped filters and i put in platinum plugs even though everyone said to put in copper ones. i use my cruise control a lot and drive like i have some sense but i too drive an hour each day to work and still go through gas like its going out of style. the only other thing i can think of is keep the stock tire size
MoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjack View Post
I have been looking at getting better fuel mileage on my wives 05 liberty, I put the chevron technician fuel cleaner in maybe 10,000 miles ago and I stay on top of maintenance. I just did a oil change and yesterday and put regular oem champion plugs in and so far it only gets 17.2 mpg which it was getting before. Should I just get different plugs? she will be driving to work one hour one way all highway and I am trying to get every mpg out of the jeep that I can. Should i consider an aftermarket intake and if so which one? I hope it is just the plugs, would be a cheaper route. thanks for any input
Aftermarket intakes will do nothing to improve gas mileage
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD_Joe View Post
The two best things you can do to increase mileage is to take as long as possible getting up to speed and driving SLOWER than the speed limit! Im not a big government kind of guy. With that said the national 55mph speed limit saved BILLIONS of gallons of fuel. If you want save fuel, drive 55mph.
I get better mileage at 70 than I do poking along at 55 and lugging the engine and causing traffic back ups
I also get on the highway and get up to cruising speed as soon as I can, saves fuel that way
If I have to drive 50-55, take forever to get up to speed, pull in my mirrors , remove the antenna, and put a sail on the back I'd be walking.
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Physics are physics TM. You do not get better mileage at 70 than you would at 55. You're just impatient!
Unread 05-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I agree to a point
But all engines also have a sweet spot in which they run and perform better. For example it maybe at 2000 RPMs, below that the engine will lug all the time, above it will of course burn more fuel.
Mine with the gearing I have and the tire size happens to do best at 70-72
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Youre talking about propelling a brick through the atmosphere. The faster you go the more resistance youre going to face. I agree with you somewhat. Depending on your gearing tires etc. But generally speaking the slower you go the better your mileage is going to be. My CRD really like 1650rpm at 58mph.
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Of course the CRD is going to like that lower RPM thats the way it is designed.
If I cruise at 55-58 it lugs, and if I switch off the overdrive at that speed ( 55-58) I get 2-3 mpgs more, almost the same as I do at 70 with it on.
Driven enough Cats and Cummins to know the difference in how a diesel likes to run -vs- a gasser
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #24
cowboyjack

Does anyone have the part number for the copper ngks? I tried to get some and the guy couldn't find them
cowboyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #25
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Champion coppers work as well , been running them since mine was first changed at 28,000 miles, now at 196,000 and swapped every 25-30,000.
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #26
Gyrocaptain
2007 KJ Liberty 

ngk- ZFR6F.
It is on a sticker on the rad support.

Gyro
Gyrocaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #27
cowboyjack

Thank you very much
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #28
cowboyjack

So I tried to get those plugs....the parts store had no idea what I was talking about even with the part number. So I ended up ordering the nickel ones. I hope ' they work just as well
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #29
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

try another parts store not a *utozone etc, a real parts store and get some copper core Champions if not the NGKs
nickle??
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #30
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
try another parts store not a *utozone etc, a real parts store and get some copper core Champions if not the NGKs
nickle??
This is what is in mine. Around Christmas I got these from the dealer when I asked for the 2008 spark plugs. Correct part number for the copper, and I think they said Nickel on them, too. I think it said it on the box if you can blow this picture up.

Gibson exhaust
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.