Holy MPG!!!!!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Holy MPG!!!!!!!!!!

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
04liberty4x4

Holy MPG!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap, finally solved my terrible MPG problem.

Changed my spark plugs, and mileage went from 15 mixed to 24.7 MPG.

First I aired the tires up, no change, then new air filter, nothing, then new oil and a fuel cleaner, nothing, spark plugs were next, and BOOM my MPG's are back!

I bought the car in 2008 used with 65k on it, the dealer said they changed the spark plugs, WELL HE LIED. It just turned over 99,000 and I knew it was over due for the 30K spark plug change but when I took them out, they were the ORIGINALS TO THE CAR! They measured from .077 to .082, WOW.

Unread 05-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
kbrady
2002 KJ Liberty 

What spark plugs did you get??? I just changed mine but I'm getting 16 MPG
kbrady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
04liberty4x4

I just put in the NGK V-power copper plugs, nothing fancy, $2.19 each at autozone
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04liberty4x4 View Post
I just put in the NGK V-power copper plugs, nothing fancy, $2.19 each at autozone
Yup, thats just what I installed today and what I installed 12k miles ago. The ones that came out looked great but I used a coupon when I bought my diff fluid that gave me free plugs, anti seize, and dielectric grease.

When I installed I got a 3 mpg boost but I'm still averaging 15 ish - it has alot to do with weights and add-ons I think. Im replacing my diff and tcase fluids (slowly) hoping for better mpg as well.

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
04liberty4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkj617 View Post
Yup, thats just what I installed today and what I installed 12k miles ago. The ones that came out looked great but I used a coupon when I bought my diff fluid that gave me free plugs, anti seize, and dielectric grease.

When I installed I got a 3 mpg boost but I'm still averaging 15 ish - it has alot to do with weights and add-ons I think. Im replacing my diff and tcase fluids (slowly) hoping for better mpg as well.
Yea my mileage had really been tanking lately, and I had been putting off doing the spark plugs for awhile, and replacing them made a BIG difference for me(best tank average MPG I've ever had after changing them..)
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
HustlinFlip
2004 KJ Liberty 

Cleaning out your fuel system may help too if not done already.

I was averaging 16ish but used STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner (just add to a tank that's at least half full) and BAM! back to the rated 19 mpg.
HustlinFlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

Holy spark plug gap Batman! .077 to .082 is enough to light a cigarette off of.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Oregon187
too broke to build

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04liberty4x4 View Post
Holy crap, finally solved my terrible MPG problem.

Changed my spark plugs, and mileage went from 15 mixed to 24.7 MPG.

First I aired the tires up, no change, then new air filter, nothing, then new oil and a fuel cleaner, nothing, spark plugs were next, and BOOM my MPG's are back!

I bought the car in 2008 used with 65k on it, the dealer said they changed the spark plugs, WELL HE LIED. It just turned over 99,000 and I knew it was over due for the 30K spark plug change but when I took them out, they were the ORIGINALS TO THE CAR! They measured from .077 to .082, WOW.
Double-Banned for calling a Jeep a car twice in one post.
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
chachums
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon187 View Post
Double-Banned for calling a Jeep a car twice in one post.
lolz so true
chachums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
kirbyZJORVIS
1997 ZJ 

Man u guys got it great I'm getting about 12.4 in my V8. ZJ with 3.5 in lift and 31s I litterally drive .5 miles to work 1 stop. Thinkin hard should I get new calipers and rotors or plugs and wires. ( Have a very very small wobble round 50 if i just barely hit the brakes) so prolly do brakes first. Thank god that's easy and keep I'm used to a jap trucks lol. Loveliness my new ZJ!!!!
kirbyZJORVIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Keeping up on all maintenace helps a lot for sure.
I get over 20-21 all the time on a trip and I dare say I am heavier than 90% of the KJs out there
Got 19.4 the other day pulling a trailer with garden tractor and a bunch of other stuff piled in it! And that was 70-75 most of the way
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
SabaII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Keeping up on all maintenace helps a lot for sure.
I get over 20-21 all the time on a trip and I dare say I am heavier than 90% of the KJs out there
Got 19.4 the other day pulling a trailer with garden tractor and a bunch of other stuff piled in it! And that was 70-75 most of the way
Them darn Kilimanjaro Edition KJ's getting better then everyone else.

I just did plugs but still around 15 mpgs mixed. I have other Issues I think though. I will check my highway mileage this weekend and see if that bumps it.
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

That's great news and great mpg for a gasser. I just drove from Seattle to Phoenix and I averaged 36.5mpg. I was happy with that. I just installed the trans tune from GDE and Im hoping to get 38mpg on the way home.
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
MoD
2005 KJ Liberty 

i changed to an amsoil filter and i changed the spark plugs (they had 135K miles) and went from an average of 21.3 to 24.9!!
MoD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
cowboyjack

I have been looking at getting better fuel mileage on my wives 05 liberty, I put the chevron technician fuel cleaner in maybe 10,000 miles ago and I stay on top of maintenance. I just did a oil change and yesterday and put regular oem champion plugs in and so far it only gets 17.2 mpg which it was getting before. Should I just get different plugs? she will be driving to work one hour one way all highway and I am trying to get every mpg out of the jeep that I can. Should i consider an aftermarket intake and if so which one? I hope it is just the plugs, would be a cheaper route. thanks for any input
cowboyjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.