Hit on rear right wheel, OUCH! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Hit on rear right wheel, OUCH!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
matr8er

Hit on rear right wheel, OUCH!

6 days ago I was hit by a car on the right side rear wheel. The fender flare was snapped out of place, barely and the axle is now sitting at about a 5-10 angle rotated in the clockwise direction. I had a look at the bottom and the right side is ripped off the frame. The drive shaft got pulled off the transfer case and is resting on the ground still attached to the rear diff. I got spun around 180 degrees. I was only going about 25 and "she" was going about 10-15 when she slid through a stop sign and hit me. The wheel has a big chunk out of the edge of it and the tire is flat. Oh, the cargo cover was knocked out of place from the impact. I have to go to the dealer tomorrow and have a look at the assessment. This is a 03 v6 sport 4x4 with only 36100 miles on it. KBB says to is worth 11k to 12k. Given the amount of impact, what are some opinions on what should be replaced besides the obvious? I wish it would just be totalled so I could get a new one, but with my luck I will have to put up with them fixing it.

matr8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
BVCRD

Them caddys pack a wallup. They may total it. It really depends on the frame and rearend. I think the formula is 70% of the KBB price in damage and they total.
Unread 02-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
71charger_fan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Might be a good time to just trade it in. But if you do, trade it as is, don't fix it first. In '94 our '92 Cherokee was hit by a tractor-trailer that ran a red light. It was driveable though; ours was all body damage. We got more, adding together the trade-in and the insurance check, than we paid for the thing new.
71charger_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
matr8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71charger_fan
Might be a good time to just trade it in. But if you do, trade it as is, don't fix it first. In '94 our '92 Cherokee was hit by a tractor-trailer that ran a red light. It was driveable though; ours was all body damage. We got more, adding together the trade-in and the insurance check, than we paid for the thing new.
Might be a good idea. What do you do, go up to a salesman and say what will you give me for it? Any other ideas? I'm thinking your idea would be better than fixing it and then selling it. Would you agree?
Unread 02-15-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by matr8er
Might be a good idea. What do you do, go up to a salesman and say what will you give me for it? Any other ideas? I'm thinking your idea would be better than fixing it and then selling it. Would you agree?
If you are going to head in that direction, and the thing is payed off, just wait for the insurance check, cash it, then go to the dealer. But, if not repaired, they won't give you much. Sort of like push pull or drag. Even then, the number may wor for you. Good Luck Hard to cope with a rig that has been hit hard. New rattles, strange vibrations that weren't there before. Or, nothing wrong.
Unread 02-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
matr8er

pics

pictures lost.

Last edited by matr8er; 05-22-2007 at 10:32 AM..
Unread 02-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
matr8er

I forgot some information the first time around. After I was hit I put the transmission in Park and it made an ugly grinding noise. It did go into park without resistance though. It was sort of a faint noise like when you have a manual half way in gear when the gears are just touching or the clutches are out of sync. Is that because the drive shaft was off, or not?
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
BVCRD

By that time, your now disconnected driveshaft would have been stopped, I would think. This isn't sounding good at all now. That kind of jar to the tranny, may have done some internal damage. I'm not a tranny guy, but it making any noise when you put it in park, while stopped and with the driveshaft not connected to it is not good.
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
wantaCRDbad

The grinding noise putting into park would be the transmission still turning. When you are standing on the brakes, if you were in 2wd mode, the connected driveshaft would keep the output and some of the internals of the transmission from turning, but then the driveshaft was pulled off, the transmission went to a normal speed as if you were idling, so the park cog had to bring everything to stop. I bet if you had it in 4wd part time, you should be able to put it in drive and park without the noise since the front axle would keep things from turning.
wantaCRDbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
matr8er

that's interesting. I tried it a few times and it would grind every time and would not stop. I finally just put it in neutral and shut the engine off.
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
wantaCRDbad

Which transfer case selection were you in? Everything but part-time 4wd should grind. 2wd. rear output only, so it would spin. 4wd full time implements a differential in the transfer case so the front will not spin, but the rear will since its free. Part-time locks the "diff" in the transfer case so that should let you go in and out without a problem.
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
matr8er

2 high it was in. so the grinding was normal right? It did sit there for a while in Neutral. It would still grind. I'll have 'em check it anyway though.
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
wantaCRDbad

In 2 Hi, when you put it in park it was like putting it in park while driving forward while it was idling. Definitely have them check, but I would guess the tranny is fine, minus any possible case damage depending if anything else broke before the driveshaft let go of the transfer case. Looks like on the rear suspension, they should just be able to change the link bar (not sure of the technical term) that looks like it pulled out. Hopefully they can fix it easily and make it like new. Hate to see a Liberty go to Liberty heaven for that little bit of damage.
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantaCRDbad
In 2 Hi, when you put it in park it was like putting it in park while driving forward while it was idling. Definitely have them check, but I would guess the tranny is fine, minus any possible case damage depending if anything else broke before the driveshaft let go of the transfer case. Looks like on the rear suspension, they should just be able to change the link bar (not sure of the technical term) that looks like it pulled out. Hopefully they can fix it easily and make it like new. Hate to see a Liberty go to Liberty heaven for that little bit of damage.

You are entirely correct. I failed to take that into consideration. A hard wrap like that could have done some damage. (more damage)
Unread 02-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

I've accidentally done that before... put my (old) Jeep into park while still moving. The grinding sound was rather quiet, but the jerk from the vehicle still moving was like somebody hit me from behind. I was afraid that I ruined the transmission, but it still drove fine until I turned it in...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.