High pitched rubbing sound from rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > High pitched rubbing sound from rear

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
hauserc
2007 KJ Liberty 

High pitched rubbing sound from rear

Hello,
I am new to both the forums here and to being a Jeep owner. I recently purchased a 2007 Liberty Sport. It is a 4x4 6sp manual. While driving in 5th and 6th gear a strange noise seems to come from the rear of the vehicle while maintaining speed. I am unable to reproduce the sound at low speeds. The sound immediately goes away if I either release the accelerator or push down harder and accelerate. The sound will persist if I put the vehicle into cruise control. The sound itself is hard to describe but it is a somewhat high pitched rubbing sound, it is not a clunking or scraping sound. I have not had the chance to take it off-road yet and it currently has 38k miles on it. I will be taking it back to the dealership soon (I have an extended warranty on it) but would like to know what is going on beforehand. Any ideas on what could be causing this sound? Thanks!

hauserc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Clockworkorange
2006 KJ Liberty 

I think it is a rear universal joint. I had the rear U-joint of the rear drive shaft replaced on my 06 at almost the exact miles that you have on now.
Mine was replaced under warranty, yours should qualify too. It is not an expensive repair that will not take them too long to perform. Nice to get the warranty though.
Clockworkorange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2007 , accelerator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.