high altitude issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > high altitude issue?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 07-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
montanaliving

high altitude issue?

Just yesterday I was driving up a rough trail in the Tobacco Root mountains in Montana up to granite lake. We stopped at a high meadow at about 8,700 feet for a quick 15 minute lunch. When I got back into my Jeep and turned the key the engine would keep turning over but would refuse to start up. I looked underneath the vehicle and there did not appear to be any leaks or damage done down there and all the things under the hood looked good to my non-extremely mechanical mind. My friend walked down the trail to a campsite where she got someone to drive up to us and check out the car and the only thing he thought it could be was lack of air to the engine but he admitted he wasn't the most knowledgeable at these things either. so as of now my Jeep is pushed on the side of the trail in the meadow and we got rides back to our house. Also worth noting is I had a new engine put in in January and just the day before had gone in for an oil change where i told them where I would be going and they looked over the vehicle and gave it a clean bill of health. If any of you have any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

montanaliving is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
megatone

I doubt the altitude had anything to do with your no-start problem....as far as the air is concerned. The vehicle has a mass airflow sensor , and it calculates how much oxygen is entering the engine. The fuel is then compressed into a vapor, mixes with the oxygen and ignites.....the B1S1 & B2S1 sensors work thier magic and the spent fumes data are sent to the ECM, which then in turn, trims fuel delivery and adjusts ignition timing.

Perhaps, excessive heat generated by the ascent had an effect on the crank and/or cam shaft position sensors. Those sensors can be affected by heat when they are about to go bad.
megatone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

No MAF on any KJ besides the CRD's.

Had the same issue on my KJ when I moved to Colorado,the cure was to only run premium gas and when I ventured up above 8000' on the trail I was in 4low.
Unread 07-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Was up on Pikes Peak for the hill climb last month, from 2am to 5pm that day. At my position, I was at 13k feet, no issues here with starting. Even endured a hail and lightning storm while I was at it! As for a no start, could be many things, fuel pump, crank or cam sensors, etc. When the engine doesn't start, you need to know, does it have spark, fuel pressure and injector operation, things that aren't easily identified on a trail a ways from anyone, understandably.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You did not mention if you got it running to go home or if it had to be towed?
300cpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.