Hi, new Liberty Owner here - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Hi, new Liberty Owner here

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
MDYounger
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hi, new Liberty Owner here

Hi

My Dad passed away and I got his 2006 Liberty Ltd. It hasn't been driven much in the last couple years and I notice a grinding noise that seems to come from the right rear wheel during braking. In addition, the aluminum wheel seems to have a patina of rust on it.

I also know it has a recall order on it for the rear suspension lower control arms. I am planning on taking it to the dealer for the recall but if the grinding noise is from another cause I would just as soon take it to my own mechanic. Would a rusting lower control arm create a noise when breaking?

Secondly, I have noticed the gas tank will overflow if you fill it using the automatic shutoff, as much as a cup of gas will spurt out depending on the speed of the pump. I saw reports that this is a problem with the Jeep Liberty, has that been reported here. I made a report because I read if they get enough reports it may trigger a recall. Is there any action on this yet?

MDYounger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First post - Welcome to JF -

You didn't mention the miles on this KJ. The grinding could be due from the need of a rear brake job, but only guessing at this point.

Have seen posts of the over flow / back splash of gas. Other members that have dealt with that - will be able to give you a better answer of what is needed to correct the issue.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
MDYounger
2006 KJ Liberty 

Sorry

The Jeep has 44,000 miles on it.
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

Two options on the gas tank. Get a new gas tank, or just fill it up on the slow setting. For me I fill it up on the slow setting, not a enough of an issue for me to get angry about. I second that the grinding is probably the brakes. If the grinding is happening when you push down on the brakes it should be the regular ones, and not the parking brakes. Not hard if your going to do it yourself. Hopefully the rotor is still good, if not plan on replacing that along with the pads. Get good ones if doing it yourself, Napa sells some good ones, avoid anyone else. Also, sorry for your loss .
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
MDYounger
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks

One thing I might have been mistaken about was that I thought in general the first brakes to wear out were the front ones, not the rear ones. And the sound is definitely coming only from the passenger side rear.
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDYounger
Hi My Dad passed away and I got his 2006 Liberty Ltd. It hasn't been driven much in the last couple years and I notice a grinding noise that seems to come from the right rear wheel during braking. In addition, the aluminum wheel seems to have a patina of rust on it. I also know it has a recall order on it for the rear suspension lower control arms. I am planning on taking it to the dealer for the recall but if the grinding noise is from another cause I would just as soon take it to my own mechanic. Would a rusting lower control arm create a noise when breaking? Secondly, I have noticed the gas tank will overflow if you fill it using the automatic shutoff, as much as a cup of gas will spurt out depending on the speed of the pump. I saw reports that this is a problem with the Jeep Liberty, has that been reported here. I made a report because I read if they get enough reports it may trigger a recall. Is there any action on this yet?
i have the same problem with my 2002 liberty as far as the grinding and rust. But I have drum brakes in the rear.. Any help with this would be appreciated as well.
02jeepliberty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Couple of things you mentioned, one being that it hasn't been driven much in the last two years. If there was any rust on the rotors could cause issues, also a caliper may have stuck and there lies the problem

I'd pull the wheel and see what it looks like
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd
Couple of things you mentioned, one being that it hasn't been driven much in the last two years. If there was any rust on the rotors could cause issues, also a caliper may have stuck and there lies the problem I'd pull the wheel and see what it looks like
what do you think my problem would be? I have drums in rear, and drive it daily.
02jeepliberty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the forum!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.