Hey Guys I could really use your help. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Hey Guys I could really use your help.

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #31
JeepOwner33
2003 KJ Liberty 

Well I installed the insulation and the issue happened again. This time after a short trip around the block, and again after a drive about 10 miles out. Left the hood open and it seemed to help a little, but not too much.

I have an appointment with a different dealership monday, and I am going to have them do some testing with a list of possible issues pulled from this forum. I will let you know what I come up with.

JeepOwner33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #32
WheelinKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Two things to check if you haven't already.

1. The fuel pressure regulator on the rail. It was already mentioned on page one but I'm giving it an X2! I've had this happen to two different vehicles. One was a GMC sierra and the other a jeep YJ. Both doing the exact same thing as you're reporting. Both due to a bad pressure regulator. I was able to take them apart and clean them and in both cases the problem never returned.

2. I had a honda accord doing this as well and it turned out to be an intermittent fuel pump relay. Sometimes working sometimes not.

try swapping the relay with another one of the same shape and size (something non critical to engine performance, headlight, wiper, AC etc). Drive around and see if you have the issue. My money is on the pressure regulator but the relay can be done in 30 seconds with no tools so try that first. The regulator isn't too hard to do but a little more involved.

Good luck and hope you solve it. There is nothing more frustrating than an intermittent problem.
WheelinKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #33
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinKJ View Post

1. The fuel pressure regulator on the rail. It was already mentioned on page one but I'm giving it an X2! I've had this happen to two different vehicles. One was a GMC sierra and the other a jeep YJ. Both doing the exact same thing as you're reporting. Both due to a bad pressure regulator. I was able to take them apart and clean them and in both cases the problem never returned.

There is no pressure regulator on the fuel rail in a KJ since it's a returnless system.There is 2 pressure regulators on a KJ(pre-'05) and one is in the fuel filter and the other is on the pump itself.'05+ it's just on the fuel pump since they moved the filter to the pump.
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #34
WheelinKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
There is no pressure regulator on the fuel rail in a KJ since it's a returnless system.There is 2 pressure regulators on a KJ(pre-'05) and one is in the fuel filter and the other is on the pump itself.'05+ it's just on the fuel pump since they moved the filter to the pump.
Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to picture the fuel rail on my KJ but haven't had it off since last year. He replaced the fuel pump so that must still leave the one on the filter. Although in my two cases with the regulator on the fuel rail, it seems like the issue was likely caused by a temperature change which likely wouldn't matter for a regulator outside the engine bay unless it was handy the exhaust. Could be totally off here, just a theory but something worth investigating.
WheelinKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #35
JeepOwner33
2003 KJ Liberty 

I assume you mean the one that is on the fuel filter about the gas tank? That is one item I am going to have them replace. I just hope they don't charge me a ton to take the fuel tank off. Fuel pump sensor I have already replaced, and that didn't help so I don't think that's the issue. Hopefully one of the shops magical gadgets can detect what's going on, but if not here is my current list of suspects I am working with.

Fuel Filter
Replace Plugs and Wires
Properly test cam sensor and crankshaft position sensor. CPS already replaced, but I want to make sure it's good.

From what I have see that is pretty much all that I have left... If I don't get it fixed this time around, I will trade it in and go get something else.
It would be a shame though, I love my JL Renegade.
Unread 04-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #36
Tkt96

Hi everyone. Just joined the website because I'm having the exact same problem on my 04 liberty 3.7. If I drive for a while and shut it off it won't start for about 20 minutes. After that it starts and runs fine. If it's been off for a while (overnight or for a few hours) it never has a problem and starts up right away every time. Hope you found an answer JeepOwner33, I'm dying to know what the solution is.
Tkt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #37
JeepOwner33
2003 KJ Liberty 

I actually just got off the phone with the dealership that I am having work on my jeep trying to fix this issue. They told me I have a bad Cam Sensor which the other 3 shops did not detect before.

I am going to go pick it up tomorrow. What I plan to do is pick it up, drive around town for about 20 minutes and then drive it right back to the dealership and turn it off and see if the issue happens again. If it does, they have some explaining to do, and can check for the issue there on the spot while it's happening.

I would have your crankshaft position sensor, cam sensor, fuel pump sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter above the gas tank, spark plugs and wires all checked as these were all pretty much the common consensus of issues that might be causing it. Also wrapping your fuel rail in insulation may help to keep the heat off your fuel line.

It's a vapor lock issue. I think....
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #38
Tkt96

Any luck with the liberty after they changed cam sensor?
Tkt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #39
JeepOwner33
2003 KJ Liberty 

Sorry for the late response here. I have been driving my jeep for about a week now in order to test it out and make sure that it was fixed. It turned out that it was the CAM sensor. I spent $150 to have it replace and it fixed the issue. I have been making many small trips just to make sure and it has started like a champ every time. It was really frustrating because the 2 auto shops that I had taken it to had said the cam sensor was fine, but the dealership said that the cam sensor was the only problem they could detect.

So have your Cam and Crankshaft sensors checked out by a good shop if you have this issue. It may save you a lot of time, and a lot of money. Trust me. I spent $900 trying to fix an issue caused by a $150 sensor.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.