Hey Guys I could really use your help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Hey Guys I could really use your help.

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
JeepOwner33
2003 KJ Liberty 

Hey Guys I could really use your help.

I have been having an issue with my 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade for about a year now. This issue has stumped 2 different repair shops and a jeep dealership. Maybe you guys have heard of this before and give me a little advice.

So the issue is this. The Jeep runs fine. Starts easily at the turn of the key. Perfect. Until the engine gets warm. If you drive about 4 or so miles and the engine gets warmed up, the next time you turn the engine completely off it will refuse to start for about half an hour.

It turns over just fine and cranks... and cranks... it just will not kick on. I am guessing it's either a heat or fuel line issue. If I leave the jeep sit for about 6 hours after driving it seems to be fine, but if I want to go somewhere immediately after its warms up, I have to wait half an hour. It's almost as if the jeep specifically waits half an hour after I first turn the key and it fails to start. It's amazingly frustrating.

I have replaced the fuel pump, the crankshaft sensor that was bad, and the fuel pump sensor and still have the issue.

Next I was going to try the spark plugs and wires and maybe even the coil packs to see if it does any good.

I have had the jeep at a couple of different good repair shops and even a jeep dealership shop and no one seemed to be able to chase down the issue.

I am sick to death of having to sit around and wait half an hour before I can go somewhere. I have been stranded like this about 10 times minimum. I am even considering a trade in, but I love my jeep. Please help!

JeepOwner33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Any codes?

Since it's a heat issue suspect a cracked crank sensor or cam sensor,need to use a lab scope to check the square wave signals from both when it's not starting.Also did you replace the fuel filter when you did the pump? Talking about the one on top of the gas tank,it also has a pressure regulator in it.Since the KJ uses a returnless system that pressure regulator is very important.
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
JeepOwner33
2003 KJ Liberty 

Nope

No codes.

Replaced the crankshaft sensor that was tested as being bad, but that didn't fix the issue.

Cam sensor is one of my next options.

Fuel filter I do not believe so, I will keep that one in mind as well thanks.
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

So you can drive it around for however long with no issues but once you turn the engine off (after going a few miles) it will not start for about 1/2 hour? Never a problem with a cold start. No codes.
And when you crank it, it 'cranks' fine but just doesn't start? Is this a good summary? And it is very consistent?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
JeepOwner33
2003 KJ Liberty 

Exactly the issue

I have driven it 500 miles in one stretch and did not have one single issue. It drives perfectly. Runs smooth. Once its warmed up, and you turn it off... It won't start. It turns over and its like it just won't catch and run. So I let it sit. You can try and try all through out the half hour and nothing. But right at the 25 minute-half hour mark it will turn over and start with no trouble like normal.

I have spent about $900 dollars trying to hunt down this issue over the past year with no luck. At the moment I am thinking either the Cam Sensor or Coil packs are malfunctioning once they are warm, but I am just not sure. I am not much of a car guy, and when my issue stumps 2 shops and a dealer... what can you do?
Unread 04-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Let's determine if it is spark or fuel. Get a can of 'starting fluid' from your local auto supply. When the libby won't start, spray some of the starting fluid into the air intake. Try to start it. If it runs for a second or two you most likely have a fuel issue. If it doesn't run you probably have a spark issue. If it doesn't run, try it a few times in a row. wear safty goggles as a backfire might occur.

If you find it is a fuel issue one thing you can try is getting a automotive stethescope (spelling?). While the engine is running listent to one of the injectors. You can actually hear them operating. When you are having the problem listen to them while you are cranking to see if you can hear them operating.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
Let's determine if it is spark or fuel. Get a can of 'starting fluid' from your local auto supply. When the libby won't start, spray some of the starting fluid into the air intake. Try to start it. If it runs for a second or two you most likely have a fuel issue. If it doesn't run you probably have a spark issue. If it doesn't run, try it a few times in a row. wear safty goggles as a backfire might occur.

If you find it is a fuel issue one thing you can try is getting a automotive stethescope (spelling?). While the engine is running listent to one of the injectors. You can actually hear them operating. When you are having the problem listen to them while you are cranking to see if you can hear them operating.
Never use starting fluid on a gas engine,more so a fuel injected gas engine.Bad,bad,and oh so bad.
Unread 04-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Bnova
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Never use starting fluid on a gas engine,more so a fuel injected gas engine.Bad,bad,and oh so bad.
Yep! I was wondering how long it would take for that response to come. LOL
Bnova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Why? I use it all of the time, no issues.

http://www.gumout.com/ourProducts/starterFluid.asp

http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...tarting-fluid/

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...fier=7877_0_0_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=525386_0_0_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starting_fluid

I will adjust my answer, spray it into the throttle body. It doesn't take much, just a second or two. Unless these guys come up with a factual reason not to try.

Do not spray it while you are cranking it and do not spray it to keep the engine running.
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
grnd93
2001 TJ Wrangler 

A lot safer on a gas engine than a diesel. If used cautiously he will have no issues.
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

I will adjust my answer, spray it into the throttle body. It doesn't take much, just a second or two. Unless these guys come up with a factual reason not to try.
On multiport FI engines like used in a KJ,and any vehicle made after '96 is they are dry intakes.Adding highly combustible fuel into the intake can ignite and if you look at your typical intake manifold it's plastic.

Fire and plastic,well you get the point.

Oh and on throttle by wire TB's stuff like that can take off the special coating and cause issues that require the whole TB to be replaced.
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Okay, I researched some more (if you call reading opinions on the web research). It burns fast and if you overuse it you can take out the engine. Your call. I will continue to use it when needed.
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
On multiport FI engines like used in a KJ,and any vehicle made after '96 is they are dry intakes.Adding highly combustible fuel into the intake can ignite and if you look at your typical intake manifold it's plastic.

Fire and plastic,well you get the point.

Oh and on throttle by wire TB's stuff like that can take off the special coating and cause issues that require the whole TB to be replaced.
That makes sense. You are correct and the liberty has a plastic intake so a backfire into the intake might have some bad results. I appreciate you clarifying your 'bad bad bad' statement.

OP, your call. If you overspray or there is an ignition source in the intake (backfire or otherwise) you might end up with more damage.
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
Bnova
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

just out of curiosity, why would you use it all the time??

Do not spray it while you are cranking it and do not spray it to keep the engine running.
just for curiosity sake, why would you use it all the time?
Bnova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

All of the time is probably an overstatement. It's not like I use it everyday. But I have both my 82 Jeep and an older Mustang that I rotate in storage. Often they will sit for a month or two or even longer. If it has been more than a month or so I will use it to get the engine going. I usually crank it for about 5 seconds, if it doesn't start I squirt a little starting fluid. Just a couple of quick bursts does the trick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.