Help using 4 wheel drive. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Help using 4 wheel drive.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #1
winter1

Help using 4 wheel drive.

Hello everyone!I just bought a 2002 jeep liberty sport and I just love it,But I just don't know how to use the 4 wheel drive and winters here in buffalo are very harsh.

winter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The owners manual has some information about shifting between 2WD and 4WD. You shift into 4WD when the roads are slippy and drive. 4WD will give you traction but won't help stop the vehicle. Make sure the added traction does not make you overconfident in stopping power. You will slide around just like any other car.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Blue KJ in PA

The Jeep Owners section of the Jeep website gives some good explanations on how it works and what to do... My Jeep: Official Jeep Owners website - Warranty, Vehicle Specs, Service Contracts, Financing, Dealers

Down and dirty version for commandtrac:
1. No 4wd on dry or paved.
2. To shift into 4Hi you can pull the shifter at any time under 55mph (however unless you are doing the Baja Race you should not be using 4Hi at 55mph)
3. To get into 4lo you need to put the regular transmission in Neutral and be rolling at about 5mph. You may also do it if completely still.
4. Before doing any of the above step read the 4wheel section in the owners manual...if you don't have one google for one and you easily find one.
Blue KJ in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Command Trac is a locking system. (WARNING)
Selec Trac is a full time -anytime system.
Command Trac was designed for sand,loose gravel,mud,snow where the wheels could slip freely while locked.
Do not use Command Trac on dry pavement while turning, it can cause binding in the front wheels and you can break stuff.$$$$
SO I assume that you have Command Trac.
It is just easier to remember when ever you want to engage the 4WD system to
While rolling straight forward slowly: Shift transmission into N (Neutral)
Pull up 1 notch on the transfer case which will put you into 4 hi and Part Time light will show on dash, return the transmission back into drive. You are now locked in 4 hi speed up to 55mph ok.
Returning back into 2Lo (off position) is reverse, tranny into N at slow speed, forward push down on transfer case shifter, Part time light goes off, tranny back into Drive.
The same applies going all the way up into 4 LO which if for very slow speeds where you are going down a steep slippery slope or maybe pulling someone out. 4LO also changes the gearing and also offer the availability of absolute crawl 4LO and transmission into 1st gear.
Change your transfer case ATF+4 fluid and front and rear diff GL5- 75W-140 every 30k miles, this will keep the system in top shape.
I also do engage the 4hi occasionally on a long straight road only with no turns, just to keep the fluid moving on the transfer case.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
winter1

Thanx for the info........Big storm coming tomorrow!Will be giving it a try.
winter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
DanJeep07

I had to use 4WD for the first time today. I let up on the gas and shifted it into 4 hi and the part time light came on. How do I get it into Full time 4 hi?
DanJeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJeep07 View Post
I had to use 4WD for the first time today. I let up on the gas and shifted it into 4 hi and the part time light came on. How do I get it into Full time 4 hi?
What are the labels on the shifter position. What year?
Unread 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Blue KJ in PA

Quote:

See response I posted above yours in this thread and read the appropriate section in the owners manual
Blue KJ in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
DanJeep07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
What are the labels on the shifter position. What year?
2007. 4hi and low.
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
2007. 4hi and low.
You probably have a command trac transfer case, which does not provide full time 4WD. Only the optional select trac transfer case provides full time 4WD.

In 2007:

The Command-Trac transfer case had four positions: 2-HI, 4-HI, Neutral, and 4-LO.

The Selec-Trac transfer case had five positions: 2-HI, 4-HI Part-Time, 4-HI Full-Time, Neutral, and 4-LO.

more detail (from the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty ):

The Liberty is available with either a part time Command-Trac or full time Selec-Trac transfer case. The Command-Trac transfer case has four positions: 2-HI, 4-HI, Neutral, and 4-LO. The lever is placed in 2WD HI for regular driving, this allows the two rear tires to receive power. The second position, 4WD HI, is used for driving on slippery or loose pavement. This position locks both the front and rear drive shafts together splitting engine power equally between all four tires. The third position, Neutral, disengages both drive shafts from the transfer case allowing the car to roll freely; this is used for towing behind another vehicle, for example. The last position, 4WD LO is used for situations in which there is very little traction. This position, like 4WD HI locks both the front and rear drive shafts together, and by using a lower gear ratio, allows for 2.72 times more torque (however, the speed is limited to around 25 MPH max). It should be noted that using 4WD HI or LO on dry pavement is hazardous to vehicle components, through drive line binding and wheel-hop.
The Selec-Trac transfer case has five positions: 2-HI, 4-HI Part-Time, 4-HI Full-Time, Neutral, and 4-LO. This transfer case is different from the Command-Trac transfer only in the extra 4WD HI Full-Time position. The 4WD HI Full-Time position adds the same traction benefits that the part-time 4WD setting offers, but features an open differential between the front and rear axles to allow the two axles to spin at independent speeds and eliminate drive line binding and wheel-hop. The down side of 4WD Hi Full-Time is that, due to the open differential between front and rear drive lines, at times the drive train will only deliever power to the front or the rear e.g. when the front of the vehicle has reached a high traction surface such as dry pavement and the rear is in sand, the rear tires will spin with 100% of engine power, the front receiving no traction. Under equal traction conditions (front-rear) this position gives the rear wheels 60% of the engine's power and the front wheels 40% of the engine's power. The division of power and open center differential allows the Selec-Trac transfer case to be operated at all times in an "All Wheel Drive" mode with no adverse effects.

Last edited by ColdCase; 12-09-2009 at 06:36 PM..
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
DanJeep07

thank you for the information
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
Moonlitin
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
4WD will give you traction but won't help stop the vehicle. Make sure the added traction does not make you overconfident in stopping power. You will slide around just like any other car.
I always remind my kids about this...I tell them..."ALL vehicles have 4WD brakes!"
Moonlitin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.