HELP! transfer case(?) noise! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > HELP! transfer case(?) noise!

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

HELP! transfer case(?) noise!

Guys I REALLY REALLY REALLY need some help here!

So after a good mudbath I noticed a really odd metal on metal noise. Its kind of a grinding/squeek. Its deffinatly a rotational noise, by that i mean it is a rythmic, repetitive noise happening every time something rotates, in the same way a wheel bearing has that "whuhh-whuhh-whuhh-whuhh" albeit a TOTALLY different sound.

Ive heard a differential blow out and my noise has a hint of commanality, like ya know that grinding noise that comes from all the broken bits in the diff rattling arround? yea, its like a little tiny version of that (like there is only one piece rattling arround) with a squeek added in for an extra scarry problem.

I DONT think its a wheelbearing because with the front end in the air i can spin the tires and cant duplicate any hint of the mystery noise.

then in desperation i yanked off the skid plates for a better look arround...
heres what i found where the front driveshaft comes out of the transfer case...
i sprayed INOX into the ripped seal and the noise has all but gone away...
I'm GUESSING that the seal was bad, then i drove it through the mud, muck, and water, and totally screwed my transfer case. Im HOPING i can drain the t-case fluid, replace that seal, then fill the t-case and problem solved...

img268.jpg   img269.jpg  
jklanier84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
tphitterlude92
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You are only going to have to spend $65. That is the cv joint. Look up driveshaftparts.com then search for it in there sorry I don't have the link I'm on my phone. It's easy to change, I'm ordering one tomorrow morning.
tphitterlude92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Yep, the boot on the CV joint is bad (common issue) and so time to replace the CV joint.

As tphitterlude92 said, it's a $65 part. Easy repair to do yourself if you're a moderate garage mechanic. There's a great how-to with pics over at JeepKJ.com.

Here's a link to the part:

Jeep Liberty CV joint -Transfer Case end

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

I love you guys right now! Lol. I was fearing a new t-case or driveshaft. $65 I can so live with. Plus it gives me an excuse to crawl under the jeeper and get dirty!
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes once that boot goes then dirt etc gets in there and it basically destroys the bearings which rotate all of the time so yes it would be a rotational noise
Replacing the 2nd one in mine this week, but with 172,000 I guess I can't complain

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.