Help swing gate latch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Help swing gate latch

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
jamienfld
2002 KJ Liberty 

Help swing gate latch

Having a problem with my 02 jeep liberty. i can't get the swing gate to open. The window pops fine. So I took the panel of the back tried everything to open the swing gate no luck. Someone told me it's the latch so how will I get the latch off if i cant open the door?

jamienfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
valvestem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamienfld View Post
Having a problem with my 02 jeep liberty. i can't get the swing gate to open. The window pops fine. So I took the panel of the back tried everything to open the swing gate no luck. Someone told me it's the latch so how will I get the latch off if i cant open the door?
If you have already checked the previous reply to your previous post, I think the only way to go now is to remove the inner rear gate panel.
valvestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
jamienfld
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have the panel off

I have the gate panel off still cant get the latch to open. Its like its locked or something. If the only way to remove the latch is to have the gate open. what will I have to do to get it open if the latch is broke and wont open the door?
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
journeyjim

2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamienfld View Post
I have the gate panel off still cant get the latch to open. Its like its locked or something. If the only way to remove the latch is to have the gate open. what will I have to do to get it open if the latch is broke and wont open the door?
There is a solenoid or servo, in there, try and find it and unplug it, see if that will free up the latch, have heard others having problems with it. It is some safety thing.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
polivo

I know this is a very vague description so I apologize. However, i had the same problem. The locking motor, and lock are part of the same black box. U you need to take of the rear panel, theres a little plstic tab, that will move up or down.. very easily if you just push it with ONE FINGER. try taking a closer look, even if the motor is dead.. you can move the tab.
polivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
jamienfld
2002 KJ Liberty 

That plastic tab is that on the black part of the latch or the top part. there is a plastic thing on top for power locks when i hit the power lock button it goes up and down. think its yellow
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Does this help?
latch.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
jamienfld
2002 KJ Liberty 

ya I have that diagram to. So where on that Diagram is the plastic tab to unlock the gate?
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
polivo

it is on the right side of item #2 in your picture. If i remeber correctly it may have been white, but im not sure. It had like a rocker action to it. I remember just applying a little pressure to it.. and it caused the lock to unlock pretty easily. i thnk I may still have my dead unit at home, ill see if I can find it to give you a better description. Literally, just feel around on the right side, a little below the arm where the rod connects to. push up or down.. and youl something like a plastic piece that will move in one direction, or the other. When you get it right, it will cause the lock on the left of item to, to release the door.
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
polivo

actually, you might also want to try disconnecting #3 from the motor, then try to pull up on the swing gate handle on the door. I think this worked for me.. although for the life of me, i couldnt figure out why! With no power, the lock would unlock.. manually. Try that.
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
polivo

keep us posted.
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
jamienfld
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ok thx for the help I will look tomorrow. Some guy at used auto place said i am going to damage the door trying to open the gate if latch is stuck locked. I figured he was off his head. Ok if you find your old one let me know polivo thx again
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
polivo

also, when you finally get that mother opened, heres the guy I bought my replacement from. Used, but cheap.. and its still working: aciecapital@yahoo.com
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
polivo

trust me dude.. very easy to open, your not going to damage anything. Mine wasnt working for two weeks. So every day, I had to pop the rear window. reach in with one hand, flick that tab.. to manually open the door. Its just a plastic black box with a motor in it. Its shot, and needs to be replaced.
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
jamienfld
2002 KJ Liberty 

num 3

ya i tried unplugging that wire # 3 and tried the door already that never worked.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.