help - rough running - strange smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > help - rough running - strange smell

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
jceh1
2002 KJ Liberty 

help - rough running - strange smell

My wife took our 2002 Liberty Sport 3.7L to the store and couldn't get it started when she came out. I got it to start when I came home from work and limped the mile and a half fo home with it running really rough. No codes where displayed, but reading the forums I thought the crank or camshaft sensors, so I replaced them both. No improvement. Could barely get it to run. Stalls out under 1,000 rpm and runs rough above. Finally got a P0201 code, so I changed out that injector. I also replaced the MAP sensor, and cleaned the IAC valve and throttle body. No improvement. Then got a P0500 and P0505 code. Now just getting the P500 code. I could replace that sensor but I don't know if that will do anything for the very rough running.
Wondering if it could be the ECM ? There is a kind of odd smell - not quite raw gas smell and not the rotten egg converter smell - but kind of an odd smell. Any suggestions are appreciated as I am at a loss.
Thanks

jceh1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

The ECM (PCM on a Gasser!) is actually a pretty robust component.

I would go with replacing whatever the error codes call out before replacing the PCM.
Most fuel related issues do not post codes so make sure your fuel filter is clean and your fuel pump is working correctly.

Do you have the Service Manual for the 2002 KJ?
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
jceh1
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thank you. I don't have a manual. Is there one you recommend? I was thinking of using the on-line ones that you can subscribe to?

I will check the fuel filter. The pump does come on but I don't know for sure how its output is. I will start with the filter and move on from there.
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
jceh1
2002 KJ Liberty 

one other thing that might be relevant - the brakes have never been that great - need alot of pressure to make them work. Not completely like manual brakes - you can feel the difference when the car stalls and the vacuum is completely gone, but not like power brakes should be - I worry about my wife and daughter driving since it takes alot of pressure to work the peddle. Inspected the vacuum lines and can't find an leaks though.
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jceh1 View Post
Thank you. I don't have a manual. Is there one you recommend? I was thinking of using the on-line ones that you can subscribe to?

I will check the fuel filter. The pump does come on but I don't know for sure how its output is. I will start with the filter and move on from there.

Download the 2002 Jeep KJ Service Manual here...everything you need to know and includes circuit diagrams.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

get a fuel pressure gauge, there about $40. your pump could be workiong just enough to make it run but not enough pressure to make it run correclty. had this happen on a 03 yukon and a geo something

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.