HELP! my gas mileage has dropped by half!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > HELP! my gas mileage has dropped by half!?!?

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 06-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
clavoie
2005 KJ Liberty 

HELP! my gas mileage has dropped by half!?!?

I have a 2005 liberty and I normally get around 20 mpg, and now I'm only getting around 10! I have no idea why and filling up is really putting a dent in my pocket. I had my friend look at it and he didn't see anything wrong. I just changed my oil in hopes that would help, but it didn't. I have beat on my liberty a lot taking it wheeling and all, but not in the last two weeks since my problem developed. Any suggestions before I take it in?

Thanks Chrissy

clavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
OhsixKJ
2010 XK Commander 

look at anything having to do with the fuel, ignition, or air intake, it's possible you could have caused something to come loose or break when you went off road last time, it may have not been serious when it happened, but could have gotten worse just by driving it, look for broken, loose or dislodged wires, brackets, hoses stuff like that, could've gotten mud, dirt or rocks inside something important and had two weeks to work around and break something, also try to get any codes your car is throwing out, they'll give you a better indication as to what's wrong. check everything, pull the air filter, spark plugs, look at your coolant to see if anything is in there that shouldn't be, checking fuel system pressure would be a good idea too.
OhsixKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
pkinetics

This probably sounds obvious, especially if you're an off roader, but have you checked your tire pressure?

I've lost a ton of MPG before from this.

Might also be the local gremlins siphoning your tank too.
pkinetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I loose the greatest amount of fuel mileage when the air filter is clogged. It really goes down the tubes, along with the power. Have you lost power?
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.