Help! Jeep Liberty Instrument Panel Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Help! Jeep Liberty Instrument Panel Question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
cactusdulce

Help! Jeep Liberty Instrument Panel Question

Hello. I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited, 118,000 miles and today it failed inspection because the airbag light does not come on at start-up. I have googled my fingers off and can only find issues with the airbag light staying on, not never coming on as in my case. To be honest, I have had the car for 4 years and have never noticed whether the light has ever been on or not at start-up. Its never failed inspection before. All other lights work fine, no other issues. Any suggestions before I head out to pay the $100 diagnostic fee? Could it be a burnt out lightbulb? All the lights around where the airbag light is all work fine. So confused. Thanks ub advance for any advise or suggestions!

PS, I'm a girl with limited experience, so please use laymen's terms LOL

cactusdulce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

No bulb,uses a LED which can be burnt out but better to be safe and get the diagnostic done.
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

There is a good chance that the previous owner of your Jeep, or the Dealership, deliberately removed the LED from the Cluster to hide a constantly-ON Airbag light...instead of fixing the problem.

With ignition turned On the Airbag Light should come on for a few second and then turn OFF if the system is working.

You can also excercise all the cluster lights and the gauges by holding in the Odometer trip-reset button while turning the ignition ON....al the cluster lights....including the airbag light...should come ON and the gauges should move back and forth. If this does not happen then you need to remove the cluster, open it up and have a look at where the Airbag LED is located...probably has been pried off or it is burnt out. If this is the case you can get a replacement LED from Radio Shack and have someone solder it into place for you.

If the Airbag light is now ON permanently...you need to get codes read to see which airbag it is complaining about.
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
There is a good chance that the previous owner of your Jeep, or the Dealership, deliberately removed the LED from the Cluster to hide a constantly-ON Airbag light...instead of fixing the problem.

With ignition turned On the Airbag Light should come on for a few second and then turn OFF if the system is working.

You can also excercise all the cluster lights and the gauges by holding in the Odometer trip-reset button while turning the ignition ON....al the cluster lights....including the airbag light...should come ON and the gauges should move back and forth. If this does not happen then you need to remove the cluster, open it up and have a look at where the Airbag LED is located...probably has been pried off or it is burnt out. If this is the case you can get a replacement LED from Radio Shack and have someone solder it into place for you.

If the Airbag light is now ON permanently...you need to get codes read to see which airbag it is complaining about.

Billwill, you are an amazing source of information on anything electrical when it comes to the KJ. Really glad to have you around here!

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
samse2101
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
Billwill, you are an amazing source of information on anything electrical when it comes to the KJ. Really glad to have you around here!

Bob
x2
samse2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samse2101 View Post
x2
Qualified in Electrical Engineering Light Current and 34 years in support, now retired!

Unfortunately I do not do house calls to the USA

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.