Help find Leak on 02 Liberty 3.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Help find Leak on 02 Liberty 3.7

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanJeep Long Arm Upgrade Kits on SALE for as low as $649.95 S

Unread 09-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
iamjpad
2002 KJ Liberty 

Help find Leak on 02 Liberty 3.7

I have noticed that there is a leak under my 02 Liberty 3.7 and the thing driving me crazy is I can't seem to find out what is actually leaking.
All I know is I come out, and I see a puddle of some liquid underneath the front of the car. Funny thing is the leak is not instant.

Yesterday for instance car was driven around for a bit. Parked and left it. No leak for hours. But I know something eventually will leak, so I place a cardboard underneath the car, sure enough, come out in the morning and there is what looks like a mix of water and maybe grease or oil under the car.

It's not the radiator which I suspected, as the drip was much further inside towards the center. There is a metal cover plate and I think the leak collects under it and then drips out the hole of the coverplate.

One suspicion is that it's just water from the AC dripping onto the coverplate and mixing with grease on the plate already, I noticed the coverplate when taken off is coated in what I can only refer to as caked on grease.

I was going to do a coolant pressure test to see, but I'm pretty sure it is not the radiator as the drip is way to far inside to be from it.

Anyone got any ideas to "STOP THE INSANITY"

iamjpad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
iamjpad
2002 KJ Liberty 

Update

This car is the gift that just keeps on giving...

So I grabbed a pressure test tool from my local parts shop.
Placed a cardboard under the car and clamped on tool and I get it to 18PSI.
YUP.. I start getting a drip. I'd say 1 drop a minute which is plenty IMHO.
Pressure dropped to 16PSI within 5mins and down to 13PSI in 30mins.

I tried to pin point where the leak was coming from and no luck. I couldn't get the stupid solid steel protective plate underneath the car to come off. arghhhh!!

Now I need help with what leak might be.
What I know is that it isn't radiator for sure. It's coming from under the engine, but it could just be run off to the base.

It is on the passenger side (left, if facing engine). Since I couldn't get out the plate I couldn't get a good look from underneath. From the top I couldn't see the leak point. Frustrating
Unread 09-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Check the hose coming out of the bottom of the reservoir and the heater hoses are right there too.
Unread 09-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
iamjpad
2002 KJ Liberty 

From what I can see, it appears to be coming from the location of the thermostat and under the engine. A little drip drip drip when at pressure. This car is just out to take take take $$$
Unread 09-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Could be a bad hose, thermostat housing or water pump all more or less in the same area there
Unread 09-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
iamjpad
2002 KJ Liberty 

I thought it was the housing too. Isn't the waterpump located at the from of the engine driven by the drive belt, or am I missing something?
From what I could tell, the thermostat housing is at the rear of the engine which is where the leak is coming out.
Question is when the thermostat housing is replaced, does one also change the thermostat, mine appears to be working fine.
Unread 09-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjpad View Post
I thought it was the housing too. Isn't the waterpump located at the from of the engine driven by the drive belt, or am I missing something?
From what I could tell, the thermostat housing is at the rear of the engine which is where the leak is coming out.
Question is when the thermostat housing is replaced, does one also change the thermostat, mine appears to be working fine.
Thermostat housing is at the front of the engine, right front, right under the fill tube for the oil almost . Look at the lower rad. hose and follow it
Unread 09-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
iamjpad
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Thermostat housing is at the front of the engine, right front, right under the fill tube for the oil almost . Look at the lower rad. hose and follow it
You are right it's all in front, I had slid in upside down under the car. Dohh..
Unread 09-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
Tombo_ontario
2002 KJ Liberty 

I got a leak too from thermostat housing....temperatures around here just dropped so woke up this morning to find a fairly large puddle of coolant under the jeep. It had dripped from the thermostat housing at the front of the engine onto the skid plate, and ran back to the rear part of the skid plate then dropped to the ground...might be mistaken for a leak I somewhere else if you don't take the time to actually locate the direct source of the leak...

Anyways...beats having a leak from the water pump...
Tombo_ontario is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
iamjpad
2002 KJ Liberty 

Updates
It turned out it was the waterpump.
I bought my own parts and had the thermostat, waterpump etc replaced.
No Leaks for 3 months

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.