HELP electronic throttle control, electronic stability, warnings, loss of power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > HELP electronic throttle control, electronic stability, warnings, loss of power

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
lib345
2007 KJ Liberty 

HELP electronic throttle control, electronic stability, warnings, loss of power

This concerns a 2007 Jeep Liberty, well maintained, 65k miles.
3 episodes over 10 days where the vehicle loses most of its power while driving.

I get warning signals on the dashboard (number 26 and number 28. page 166 in the manual). 26 is electronic throttle control warning light; number 28 is electronic stability program for traction control system.

Each time the jeep lost power, would only do about 15 or 20 mph, I pulled over, I turned the engine on and off a few times, and the Jeep would start up and run fine.

The first 2 episodes happened on the same morning, and I drove over to the Chrysler Jeep place and talked to a couple guys in the service department. I described what had happened and they told me they could not do anything to find the cause because the warning lights were not on right now and a diagnostics test would not show anything -- the error codes do not get stored.

I bought an OPD2 reader to use while the warning lights were on. This morning it happened again (3rd time). I pulled over, with the engine running I plugged the thing in and got no codes. I shut the engine off, then keyed to "on", and again could get no codes from the OPD2.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on, and how to fix it?

Many thnx

lib345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
olewilly
1989 MJ Comanche 

I'm no pro mechanic, but my 89 MJ was doing the same thing, but I pulled the throttle position sensor and cleaned it (it was almost solid black) and put it back in there and I've had no more trouble out of that aspect. But I'm also not familiar with that new of a model. Just thought I'd give you an idea.
olewilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
lib345
2007 KJ Liberty 

possible cause?

I've been asking around about this problem, one source says it's a fly by wire failure on the throttle, and it is either the throttle body or pedal sensor.

Does this make sense? How to test it? What kind of cost would be involved?
lib345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
olewilly
1989 MJ Comanche 

Makes since but I'd clean that sensor first, it was also the same problem with my buddy's wrangler and my step dads Cherokee.
olewilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.