Help brake job!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Help brake job!!!

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 10-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
arieljeep

Help brake job!!!

My frind has 2003 Liberty and he is getting a brake job done to his jeep, roters and pads on the back and front, and its going to be $485 for the jod, is the a lot? or its ok, and is it posibell the the on a 2003 jeep that is a city driver the roters will not be good, the guy tolled him the he has to get new roters

Power Slot Brake Rotors
All New Super Kit Of Bushings From Daystar
Skyjacker TC Lowering Kit, Dynomax kit

Last edited by arieljeep; 10-20-2005 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
arieljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2005, 01:01 AM   #2
swyszomirski

how much the rotors wear all depends on the driving style. I live in the mountains in Santa Cruz, Cal. and my brakes are beginning to squeal at 26100 miles, which I think is great mileage for the brakes considering all the hills I drive. The price for the job is probably ok, but then again it depends on where he gets it done, in the more expensive part of town it will be more expensive, etc. I realy haven't priced brakes with a full install because I always do my own, but it is prosible that the rotors can't be turned flat and will need to be replaced.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/798121
swyszomirski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
libertygrl

I had the same thing done on my '03 and it cost me about that much...
Unread 10-26-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
rwmjeepjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone know where to find instructions on how to change the pads/rotors? I am interested in changing my own, I already do most all of the other maintenance, engine work, and upgrades, but have never attempted brakes.
'07 Unlimited X - RED - winch, mod front bumper, 2.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, skid row skid plate, BackUp Camera, Custom Switch Pod, CB / PA, Congo Cage customized to full rack with light bar and rear ladder, more to come! (roof tent is not too far off, getting ready for next Easter Jeep Safari trip)
rwmjeepjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
swyszomirski

Step:
1- pull off the tire

2- Un-bolt the caliper (where the pads are held in)

3- Pop out brake pads from caliper

4- If you have ABS, then you will need the special caliper pusher that turns the caliper piston as it pushes it back. If no ABS, then a regular caliper pusher will be fine. Make sure in either case to put a block of wood between the end of the pusher and the caliper piston to keep from damaging the piston.

5- I can't remember if there is another piece of metal that holds the caliper to the hub or not, but if there is, remove it.

6- swap rotor

Then reverse process.

All bolts are most likely metric.

Unread 10-26-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyszomirski
4- If you have ABS, then you will need the special caliper pusher that turns the caliper piston as it pushes it back. If no ABS, then a regular caliper pusher will be fine. Make sure in either case to put a block of wood between the end of the pusher and the caliper piston to keep from damaging the piston.
He he, where I come from that's called a c-clamp.
Unread 10-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
LostRenegade

It's not that hard. I did it myself for the first time about a month ago. I spent about $350 for everything. I picked up slotted cross drilled rotors on E-Bay for about $240, Hawk front pads for $60 and Autozone cheap ones for the rear $20. Plus about another $30 for misc stuff.
[B]LostRenegade [/B] - Lost #000477
'03 Liberty Renegade - Mopar Skids, Light Bar,
SilverStars, Boulder Bars, Skid Row Tranny Skid,
K&N Air Filter, Magnaflow Muffler, RUSTY's 2.5" Coil Lift,
BFG AT/KO 245/75R16, KC Hilights Daylighters 150W.
[B]http://www.cardomain.com/id/lostrenegade[/B]
LostRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #8
rwmjeepjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Is there any "bleeding" of the brakes involved? I am comfortable in doing all of the other work but get nervous about the thought of that important step.
'07 Unlimited X - RED - winch, mod front bumper, 2.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, skid row skid plate, BackUp Camera, Custom Switch Pod, CB / PA, Congo Cage customized to full rack with light bar and rear ladder, more to come! (roof tent is not too far off, getting ready for next Easter Jeep Safari trip)
rwmjeepjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
swyszomirski

No, why would you bleed the lines on a typical brake job? You don't totally remove the caliper from the vehicle, you just un-bolt it from the hub = no bleeding, and if you see brake fluid = bad bad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.