JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   HELP!!! 03 Liberty brake lights not working (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/help-03-liberty-brake-lights-not-working-1362825/)

itsPepe 04-29-2012 07:50 PM

HELP!!! 03 Liberty brake lights not working

I have spent my whole day searching the web for a solution with no luck at all.
My mother handed her keys to me the other day and said "fix everything thats wrong." So far Ive had to replace the battery and I have to do a tune up, fix the rear driver window, and replace the valve cover gaskets.

Here is my current issue. The brake lights do not come on at all, including the 3rd light. The reverse lights, blinkers and tail lights all work no problem. Ive checked all the bulbs and fuses and replaced the brake light switch, and still nothing.

I am absolutely stumped and it doesnt help that I know nothing about checking for shorts. :brickwall

Please somebody point me in the right direction.

Billwill 04-30-2012 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the basic logic for the switch...the relevant part for you is the center switch position which is normally open and sends +12 volts via fuse 12 in the cabin fuse panel when you press the pedal.
You need to check this fuse and if you have a voltmeter then check that you get the +12 volts on the White/Tan wire coming off the switch when ignition is ON and someone presses the brake. You need to be sure that the switch position is correct.
Then you need to see if the +12 volts arrives at the stop bulbs themselves...check with your meter on the bulb contact and the earth side of the meter to a clean non-painted chassis point. If you do have this voltage there then you could be missing the grounding wire for the bulbs which is quite common.
Try use a seperate piece of wire and touch it between the clean chassis point and the Ground part of the bulb-holder. If the bulbs now light then your ground wire is broken somewhere....you can use your piece of wire to make up the ground yourself by connecting it permanently to a clean chassis point and the other side to the ground on the bulb.:)

tmcgraw 05-02-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsPepe (Post 13489153)
The brake lights do not come on at all, including the 3rd light. The reverse lights, blinkers and tail lights all work no problem. Ive checked all the bulbs and fuses and replaced the brake light switch, and still nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerslave (Post 13502821)
Does the high mount center brake light work?

Billwill's advice might be the best bet. Of course when dealing with these it's crucial to make sure the switch is working (work simpliest solution to hardest). You said you replaced the brake light switch but did you test it first? Such as plugging it in and just pushing it open and closed to see if the brakes work?

(Seems like a no-brainer but you never mentioned testing the switch.)

Keep us updated!

itsPepe 05-02-2012 09:32 PM

Success, it turns out the right brake light assembly needed cleaning, the top one was blown and the left buld socket was fried. Needless to say after I figured it out I felt like a idiot lol. thanks everyone for your advice

The time now is 06:20 PM.