Heater Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Heater Problems

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
krothnbrg

Heater Problems

Hi everyone. I've been a lurker for a month or two and posted once about a problem my wife had with her Jeep. Now I'm having a problem that I hope the mighty collective mind here can help with...

I have a 2004 Liberty (V-6) 2 wheel drive. It's been really rock solid for more than 100K miles but now...

Last week I noticed that the heater was blowing cold air. That was almost immediately followed by it over heating. On checking it, I found that the coolant reservoir empty! No evidence of leaks though. So I add the appropriate mix of coolant and water and drove it around to test. Everything was just as it ought to be. Didn't over heat and I even sat idling for about 20 minutes with the air conditioner on.

THis morning though. WHile on the way to work the engine temp was just fine but the heater is still blowing cold air. Though is I'm accelerating it blows warm but as soon as the RPM's stay at a constant, it blows cold.

Any ideas what I'm looking at here?

krothnbrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

hows ur heater core? it looks like it might b leaking, check the carpet under the front passenger side. also i would check the color of ur exhaust fumes and make sure its not white. air temp fluctuations due to rpm changes might be due to failing water pump. im very new to the powertech v6 3.7 but i had these kinds of problems b4 with other engines so i might b wrong.
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
krothnbrg

Thanks! I'll take a look at those when i get home. At the office right now.
I guess I should figure out how to get to the water pump now...
krothnbrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
jeeplibby1

Heater.

I had the exact same problem about a week ago. Even though I added coolant, the heater was still cold. I had to let the engine come to temp, let the thermostat open, is what I am guessing, and then add more coolant. I did notice that it went down after it came to temp. Just be careful when opening the cap while hot. After I filled it a second time, the heater worked as it should. However, this system is suppose to be closed. Where is your coolant going? I just found that i have a pinhole leak on the side of my radiator. Look around, you may see the same thing. Good luck.
jeeplibby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
hdlou

I have recently started having the same problem mentioned above. That is, no heat when stopped at idle then heater blows warm air when driving. Mine is a 2003 Jeep Liberty 3.7 V-6.

I've never seen this before. My first though was a bad thermostat but I figured it wouldn't be blowing warm air at all.
hdlou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
polivo

I had the exact same problem. Its the radiator. PIn hole leak on the upper right side. Look at your radiator very closesly. You will probabbly see dry while lines along the side. Thats the leak right there. The radiators are plastic and seem to last about 100k (or so). How many miles on yours?
polivo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
hdlou

Quote:
Originally Posted by polivo View Post
I had the exact same problem. Its the radiator. PIn hole leak on the upper right side. Look at your radiator very closesly. You will probabbly see dry while lines along the side. Thats the leak right there. The radiators are plastic and seem to last about 100k (or so). How many miles on yours?
Mine only has 60K on it. I recently, a couple months ago, had to change to heater blower motor and also changed the resistor as well. Don't know if that could have anything to due with it.
Unread 02-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
hdlou

Any idea what a new radiator costs?
Unread 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Check your coolant level and check the upper driver's side area of the radiator for wetness.

New radiator, $350-450 installed including a flush depending on where you go.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
hdlou

The coolant level was low. It's looking like the problem is the waterpump. Looks like it could be leaking.

Is the thermostat located at the bottom radiator hose connection on the Libertys? It doesn't look like it's at the top hose.
Unread 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
hdlou

Well, it looks like it's the waterpump that is leaking. I have an appointment at the dealer next week to get it checked after I found out the Powertrain warranty in still in effect until November.
Unread 02-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thats good!
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
hdlou

Yep, it was in deed the waterpump. Dealer said it was about ready to fall off. And at 59K to boot.
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

You have an '04. It's 6 years old. Have you ever flushed the coolant? If not, it probably got acidic and ate the bearings.

Age kills modern cars more than mileage. ThunderbirdJunkie is still rocking his OE water pump *knock on wood* at 153,000 miles thanks to coolant flushes every two years.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
jhafer82
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hey guys. I saw this thread and thought I'd post in here instead of making a new one. I have an 05 Renegade with the 3.7 with about 70K miles on it. I have no heat and the car starts to overheat after idling for about 15 mintues. I had a friend come over and help me replace the thermostat. That wasn't it. Then we replaced the radiator last night. Still no heat. The passenger side floor is not wet at all. The fan comes on after a bit so that's working. I already had a shop replace the water pump a couple years ago. Is there an easy way to get at the hoses going to the heater core? I figure if I bypass the heater core and loop the lines together I can see if it still overheats. If it does, then it's the water pump. If not, then the heater core is clogged. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
jhafer82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.