Heat/air conditioning control knob light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Heat/air conditioning control knob light

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
roertw006
2004 KJ Liberty 

Heat/air conditioning control knob light

I am having problems with the light behind my heat/ A/C control knob. The light is out. I suspect it might be a bad connection somehow. I took the dash and radio apart for aftermarket radio items, put it back together and now the light wont come on. I took the dash back apart and couldnt even find where the light was! Where is this light and how do I get to it? As long as I could find the light, I don't think I would have any problems troubleshooting and fixing it, I just can't locate the darn thing! Thanks in advance.

Unread 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
roertw006
2004 KJ Liberty 

No one has any help for me on this!? im surprised... Am I really overlooking this that hard? Help please!!!
Unread 06-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

There is a thread on this page that says Liberty Service manual.That should help you out.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
jeeplibby1

Did you ever find that light?
jeeplibby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
roertw006
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes, I've finally got the light out, after a lot of trouble messing around with the dash. I haven't looked for the replacement part yet though. Since it's not a standard light bulb, I have a suspicion that only a Jeep dealer will have the replacement. I would hate to have to pay something stupid like $10.00 for a tiny insignificant light. Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to get a replacement without paying a ton?

I wish I could attach pics for reference but I don't know how.
Unread 06-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can load your pics to photobucket (start acct if you don't have one), and attach a "IMG" link of your pic to your post (copy n paste). Set your photobucket acct to 480 x 600 IIRC so it is not gigantic. Then anyone can click to see it or someone will make it no clicky for you.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
a5150nut
2006 XK Commander 

Robert,

Google the bulb number and see what pops up. You might be suprized. If not, check Rat Shack.
a5150nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
roertw006
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thread revival time!

I know its been an incredibly long time since I originally posted in this thread, but the problem fell to the bottom my list of things to do and I kind of grew used to the missing bulb despite having to look at it every time i drive the KJ at night. It also didn't help that I couldn't post pictures at the time of my original post. So, here's the long awaited pics.

I have not talked to a dealer yet, but I would prefer to avoid them if at all possible due to usual high markup of parts they provide. I assume someone other than myself has had to have run into the problem of this light burning up as well. Can anyone who has experience with this give me insight as to how much a replacement from the dealer costs, where else I might be able to find a replacement, what the part number is on this item, and how I should refer to this item(I've just been calling it an A/C knob backlight and getting no google hits with that term).

Also, the only "parts numbers" on this item are a small "C" and a small "S" with a circle around it. I am concerned about obtaining this part because I feel like I've read somewhere that there is no replacement part for it. I must be misremembering, right?

The first with red circles is the back of the A/C and heat control panel. The circles are where the lights were. The other two pictures are pics of the bulb itself with a quarter for size reference.
Anyway, the pics...
dsc00580.jpg   dsc00582.jpg   dsc00583.jpg  
Unread 08-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
roertw006
2004 KJ Liberty 

bump
Unread 08-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roertw006 View Post
bump
Have you actually measured where the bulbs plug in that you are actually getting voltage there? I presume that the voltage will change as the dimmer is adjusted.
Have you measured the bulbs for resistance?

I would personally try to carefully take the bulb assemblies apart to see what is inside...a small incandescent bulb? A LED bulb?

The back of the instrument cluster has about 7 small incandescent bulbs plugged in to back-light the display....these are apparently replaceable...you could get some of those and see if you can adapt them to your sockets.....they may even be the same.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
roertw006
2004 KJ Liberty 

no, i havent measured voltage and resistance. they are incandescent bulbs, so i assume one of them just burnt out(there are two; one works, one doesnt). i tested the one that does work in the other "socket" and it worked fine, so we just have a case of needing to buy a new bulb here.
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
roertw006
2004 KJ Liberty 

i broke down and called the dealer. i guess i should have to start with. they dont carry the part, but can order it. it cost $3 and some change. i hope this thread finds someone with a similar problem and saves them a boat load of time. im surprised i couldnt ever find a similar thread on here.
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
socks
2004 KJ Liberty 

Interesting, according to my FSM you need to replace the whole HVAC switch assem.
socks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
roertw006
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by socks View Post
Interesting, according to my FSM you need to replace the whole HVAC switch assem.
that is the way i originally perceived the FSM too. BUT IT LIES! i picked up the part from the dealer today. part #05069170AA.

and the picture for proof it exists!
img00209.jpg  
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
socks
2004 KJ Liberty 

Good to know.
I'll write down the part number while I'm at it!
socks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.