Headlight problem - random shut off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Headlight problem - random shut off

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Railroadman
2004 KJ Liberty 

Headlight problem - random shut off

04 Liberty, regular headlights (not aftermarket etc). On 2 occasions, after driving about a half hour the headlights go out, come on after about 2 seconds, and that repeats maybe 5 times. After that it was fine, drove another half hour no problem. Once was before a new battery, the second time after. The road was smooth, it was not a case of a bump rattling a loose wire. I went over rough bumps at other times with no trace of the problem. Both times it happened, the dash lights stayed on and there was no loss of engine power. Could not tell if tail lights went off or not. I can hear a relay clicking each time they come off or on from behind the dash, left side. I can't make this happen by wiggling the signal lever, pounding on the dash, etc. In fact, I can't make it happen no matter what I do so no smoking gun to trace.

It seems like it could be some sort of circuit breaker resetting, but if something was overheated I would expect it would continue to cycle the rest of the ride, not stop doing it after maybe 30 seconds of off and on.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroadman View Post
04 Liberty, regular headlights (not aftermarket etc). On 2 occasions, after driving about a half hour the headlights go out, come on after about 2 seconds, and that repeats maybe 5 times. After that it was fine, drove another half hour no problem. Once was before a new battery, the second time after. The road was smooth, it was not a case of a bump rattling a loose wire. I went over rough bumps at other times with no trace of the problem. Both times it happened, the dash lights stayed on and there was no loss of engine power. Could not tell if tail lights went off or not. I can hear a relay clicking each time they come off or on from behind the dash, left side. I can't make this happen by wiggling the signal lever, pounding on the dash, etc. In fact, I can't make it happen no matter what I do so no smoking gun to trace.

It seems like it could be some sort of circuit breaker resetting, but if something was overheated I would expect it would continue to cycle the rest of the ride, not stop doing it after maybe 30 seconds of off and on.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
There is no circuit breaker involved, only fuses.
As stated above, try repluging the High Beam Relay which is on the interior fuse block. On the rear side of the fuse block are more relays such as the Low Beam Relay, Fog Relay etc. You could try swapping the High Beam Relay with one of these other relays to see if the problem moves.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Railroadman
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thank you! I'll give that a try.
Unread 10-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
jeepjeepster

I know this is an old thread but did you ever figure anything out? Mines recently started doing the exact same thing.
jeepjeepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
I know this is an old thread but did you ever figure anything out? Mines recently started doing the exact same thing.
Could be the multi-function switch, a loose fuse or a bad relay.

I would re-plug the relevant fuses for that circuit and re-plug/swap the relays mentioned on both sides of the internal fuse panel.
Unread 10-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Railroadman
2004 KJ Liberty 

To be honest, we have not gone after the problem YET. I know...it's been a long time. For short night time trips it has not been a problem, and for longer ones after dark we've used another vehicle. Which really accomplishes nothing as far as the problem itself.

I guess this will serve as my wake-up call, and maybe this week I'll try a few things. One problem is the issue is SO intermittent I may THINK I have it fixed and it may be a month before it does it again.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post what I do and how it works.
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
bvanhorn52
2004 KJ Liberty 

Head light relays

Doesn't someone know how to find the other Liberty headlight relay that is hidden? I can't find on any of the posts where this is answered.
bvanhorn52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanhorn52 View Post
Doesn't someone know how to find the other Liberty headlight relay that is hidden? I can't find on any of the posts where this is answered.

Here it is..picture shows the rear of the fuse panel inside the cabin...this is for 2002 CRD...should be close enough for newer models.
img.jpg

Unread 09-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
USPLiberty

I had to replace my multifunction switch in my Jeep under warrantee. I think that it is the whole turn signal/wiper apparatus. I started to get all kinds of electrical bugaboos. Dash lights blinking for no reason, problems with the lights etc. They are a well known problem even with the Grand Cherokees.
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

The hidden relay's are behind the panel that sits below the steering wheel. Mine is hinged at the bottom, and locked in place at the top via 2 snap fasteners. A panel removal tool may be necessary if you don't have callused hands like mine to pop them out. After that it should be easy to get to.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.