Headlight problem - random shut off - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Railroadman
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 3
Headlight problem - random shut off

04 Liberty, regular headlights (not aftermarket etc). On 2 occasions, after driving about a half hour the headlights go out, come on after about 2 seconds, and that repeats maybe 5 times. After that it was fine, drove another half hour no problem. Once was before a new battery, the second time after. The road was smooth, it was not a case of a bump rattling a loose wire. I went over rough bumps at other times with no trace of the problem. Both times it happened, the dash lights stayed on and there was no loss of engine power. Could not tell if tail lights went off or not. I can hear a relay clicking each time they come off or on from behind the dash, left side. I can't make this happen by wiggling the signal lever, pounding on the dash, etc. In fact, I can't make it happen no matter what I do so no smoking gun to trace.

It seems like it could be some sort of circuit breaker resetting, but if something was overheated I would expect it would continue to cycle the rest of the ride, not stop doing it after maybe 30 seconds of off and on.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Railroadman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hoedspruit, in the Bush, South Africa
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroadman View Post
04 Liberty, regular headlights (not aftermarket etc). On 2 occasions, after driving about a half hour the headlights go out, come on after about 2 seconds, and that repeats maybe 5 times. After that it was fine, drove another half hour no problem. Once was before a new battery, the second time after. The road was smooth, it was not a case of a bump rattling a loose wire. I went over rough bumps at other times with no trace of the problem. Both times it happened, the dash lights stayed on and there was no loss of engine power. Could not tell if tail lights went off or not. I can hear a relay clicking each time they come off or on from behind the dash, left side. I can't make this happen by wiggling the signal lever, pounding on the dash, etc. In fact, I can't make it happen no matter what I do so no smoking gun to trace.

It seems like it could be some sort of circuit breaker resetting, but if something was overheated I would expect it would continue to cycle the rest of the ride, not stop doing it after maybe 30 seconds of off and on.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
There is no circuit breaker involved, only fuses.
As stated above, try repluging the High Beam Relay which is on the interior fuse block. On the rear side of the fuse block are more relays such as the Low Beam Relay, Fog Relay etc. You could try swapping the High Beam Relay with one of these other relays to see if the problem moves.
Billwill is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Railroadman
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 3
Thank you! I'll give that a try.
Railroadman is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 AM
jeepjeepster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,738
I know this is an old thread but did you ever figure anything out? Mines recently started doing the exact same thing.
jeepjeepster is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2012, 04:43 AM
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hoedspruit, in the Bush, South Africa
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
I know this is an old thread but did you ever figure anything out? Mines recently started doing the exact same thing.
Could be the multi-function switch, a loose fuse or a bad relay.

I would re-plug the relevant fuses for that circuit and re-plug/swap the relays mentioned on both sides of the internal fuse panel.

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Railroadman
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 3
To be honest, we have not gone after the problem YET. I know...it's been a long time. For short night time trips it has not been a problem, and for longer ones after dark we've used another vehicle. Which really accomplishes nothing as far as the problem itself.

I guess this will serve as my wake-up call, and maybe this week I'll try a few things. One problem is the issue is SO intermittent I may THINK I have it fixed and it may be a month before it does it again.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post what I do and how it works.
Railroadman is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-31-2013, 01:05 PM
bvanhorn52
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rolla
Posts: 2
Head light relays

Doesn't someone know how to find the other Liberty headlight relay that is hidden? I can't find on any of the posts where this is answered.
bvanhorn52 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 AM
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hoedspruit, in the Bush, South Africa
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanhorn52 View Post
Doesn't someone know how to find the other Liberty headlight relay that is hidden? I can't find on any of the posts where this is answered.


Here it is..picture shows the rear of the fuse panel inside the cabin...this is for 2002 CRD...should be close enough for newer models.
Attached Images
 

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-03-2013, 12:09 PM
USPLiberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 126
I had to replace my multifunction switch in my Jeep under warrantee. I think that it is the whole turn signal/wiper apparatus. I started to get all kinds of electrical bugaboos. Dash lights blinking for no reason, problems with the lights etc. They are a well known problem even with the Grand Cherokees.
USPLiberty is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
jbarthol
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 121
The hidden relay's are behind the panel that sits below the steering wheel. Mine is hinged at the bottom, and locked in place at the top via 2 snap fasteners. A panel removal tool may be necessary if you don't have callused hands like mine to pop them out. After that it should be easy to get to.
jbarthol is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Headlights shut off Bruce67 KJ Liberty Forum 4 05-30-2010 01:11 AM
headlight problem, no low beams orangez KJ Liberty Forum 12 11-15-2007 12:20 AM
Buzzing when when shut off woodchipper KJ Liberty Forum 26 06-04-2006 08:59 PM
liberty headlight problem sunny1976 KJ Liberty Forum 2 10-18-2004 02:02 PM
Random problem Lady Liberty KJ Liberty Forum 4 07-23-2004 11:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome