Headlight bulbs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Headlight bulbs

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
mocktwo
2004 KJ Liberty 

My wife occasionaly drives my liberty and she coplains of night blindness. What are the brightest bulbs your running

mocktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
04liberty4x4

philips 9007 x-treme power
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
socks
2004 KJ Liberty 

we use Hella 100/80 watt bulbs.
Work really well.
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
MoD
2005 KJ Liberty 

i was thinking about getting new bulbs too and was looking at hella xenon blue's
MoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
forcrz6
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
The farther to the blue spectrum you go, the less visibility you get, it's a fact. HIDs look blue, but they are projecting a WHITE light.

Some headlamps are much brighter than others. This is because some are designed for darkness, and some are designed for "I'm 50 feet underground exploring a cave" darkness. Some are also just not that great, and won't let you see much past your own feet.

The correlated color temperature of HID headlamp bulbs, at between 4100K and 4400K, is often described in marketing literature as being closer to the 5800K of sunlight compared with tungsten-halogen bulbs at 3000K to 3550K. The fact remains, HID light output is NOT similar to daylight. The spectral power distribution (SPD) of an automotive HID headlamp is discontinuous, while the SPD of a filament lamp, like that of the sun, is a continuous curve. Moreover, the color rendering index (CRI) of tungsten-halogen headlamps (≥0.98) is much closer than that of HID headlamps (~0.75) to standardized sunlight (1.00). Studies have shown no significant safety effect of this degree of CRI variation in head-lighting.

The HID headlight is a very efficient use of energy. The incandescent light burns the filament up more quickly in the argon gas. The halogen is a bit more efficient because the iodine in the gas helps to rebuild the filament as it burns thus making it last longer. In the HID since there is no filament to burn and the Xenon gas makes it burn cooler and brighter, it is at least three times more efficient than other headlights.

If you are not using HID, then you are using FAKE blue: There are blue headlights (8000K is where they start) on the market which are NOT HID. These are counterfeit HID light bulbs, and are simply tungsten-halogen filament bulbs with blue tint added to the glass on the outside. Some manufacturers even color the glass blue to claim the blue HID headlamp and in some instances are illegal. They do not give you better visibility, it's a marketing scam.

When you go over 4300K color temperature (5000k is acceptable), you actually LOSE visibility in front of you. You should use a color temperature from 4300k to 6000k (5000k is pure white light) since the light emitted at this temperature is the closest you get to achieving a daylight color, plus, higher than 6000k may be illegal in your area.

You can see the light output below, and SEE for yourself, the actual light output lowers as you lean in to the blue spectrum. Below shows the approximate lumen output, combined (both lights), divide by 2 for single lm light rate, at 55watts.

4300K, 3100lm output; Emits a white light with a hint of yellow that mimics the light coming from the sun. This is the color of choice for most car manufactures and can be found equipped on a wide range of vehicles. Used if you want the most light output and the best performance.

6000k, 2900lm output; is pure white with a hint of blue, and are the most popular of the HID copy-cat light.

8000k, 2500lm output; more blue light than 6000K but not defined as true blue; it has a hint of white, visibility is decreased.

10000K, 2300lm output; is blue, Visibility is significantly decreased.

12000K, 2000lm output; violet/purple light. This color has the least light output and should not be used for nighttime driving.

So, if you have a person that has trouble with night time visibility, you will make it worse with BLUE light.
To add on to this. DO NOT get the HID Plug and play kits from Ebay. 1 they are for off road use only. 2 they are now by US law illegal in any car that did not come with HID.
forcrz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

If there suffering from night blindness maybe they should not be driving at night to begin with.

As far as the HID thing they are 100% illegal unless they are put into housing made for HID bulbs.Putting HID bulbs in a halogen housing is what makes it illegal as they can never be aimed correctly as the halogen housing scatters the HID light.
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
forcrz6
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
If there suffering from night blindness maybe they should not be driving at night to begin with.

As far as the HID thing they are 100% illegal unless they are put into housing made for HID bulbs.Putting HID bulbs in a halogen housing is what makes it illegal as they can never be aimed correctly as the halogen housing scatters the HID light.
90% correct. They can be used at shows, or off road. Not for driving though. This so called police officer, (and I would like for them to put their badge # where their mouth is because I have never seen a "Police office" that horrid at spelling.) Can NEVER EVER be aimed where the horrid glare from a stock halogen housing will not affect any driver. It does not matter how far down you aim the front. The issue is the the BLINDING glare for on coming traffic to the left. Guess where that light comes from. The Side of the reflector. Not the center that projects forward. Aiming the housing down does not affect the light that is put out to the left or right. Also none of the HID kits that are made to fit in to a Halogen Housings are FMVSS approved. This meas that unlike the other poster stated, it does not matter if it is 4300 or 10000. You are causing an issue for on coming traffic and presenting a safety hazard. All lights that are used for driving at night in a DOT headlamp have to follow FMVSS 108. And NONE of the no name Plug and play kits that go in to your stock Halogen Housings are FMVSS approved IE Illegal.

I'll leave it at this. If you want to put these fake HID kits into your car. Go for it. But when you blind me coming around a corner, and cause an accident. You can make damn sure I will have my lawyer there and make sure that we get so much money out of you and your insurance that the only light you will ever have to worry about again is the 1 you are taping to the handlebars of that bicycle that you just got off layaway at walmart. Now if you want to buy me a new jeep, please put them in. I really want the MW3 Jeep.
Unread 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
mocktwo
2004 KJ Liberty 

I started this thread with no mention of hids i simply asked about which bulbs people like.
mocktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
forcrz6
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocktwo View Post
I started this thread with no mention of hids i simply asked about which bulbs people like.
Very true. But with some of the suggestions stating HID lights, I figured that I would warn you b4 you went to go look at them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.