Have to change 2002 Liberty radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Have to change 2002 Liberty radiator

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
mrjlr

Have to change 2002 Liberty radiator

I have to change a 2002 Jeep Liberty radiator...

I know it's not rocket science, but any tips or tricks ? Pit falls I shouls watch out for ?

Any advice is welcome...Thanks in advance !

mrjlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Make sure you remove the battery and battery tray,will save you alot of time.Plus a good time to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses and the t-stat.Make sure you use only HOAT coolant,very important.

Alos get a radiator with a lifetime warranty,you will be changing it a few times if you plan on keeping it for sometime.
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
mrjlr

ok...good tips....didnt know about taking out the battery & tray...
I've heard I'll have to remove the front grill too...is this correct ?
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjlr View Post
ok...good tips....didnt know about taking out the battery & tray...
I've heard I'll have to remove the front grill too...is this correct ?
Yes as you have to take off the upper radiator support,that is fun also as you have to drill out rivits,just replace the rivits with 1/4" bolts/nuts.If you have HD cooling it's a little more fun also(mechanical fan) as you need special tools to remove the fan clutch off the waterpump pulley.
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
mrjlr

Nice.....drilling out rivets ain't no problem...special tools for fan clutch....like what ?

and the front grill ?
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Nice.....drilling out rivets ain't no problem...special tools for fan clutch....like what ?

and the front grill ?
You will need this for the fan clutch..........
Lisle , 41740 41740 Fan Clutch Spanner Wrench GM, Chrysler & Jeep - 36mm

Along with the pully holder listed on the bottom.

The grill needs to come out,4 bolts located on top and it pulles out.
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
mrjlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
You will need this for the fan clutch..........
Lisle , 41740 41740 Fan Clutch Spanner Wrench GM, Chrysler & Jeep - 36mm

Along with the pully holder listed on the bottom.

The grill needs to come out,4 bolts located on top and it pulles out.

Thanks you so much !
Now, if it has an electric fan, I don't need to get the tools I suppose...
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Thanks you so much !
Now, if it has an electric fan, I don't need to get the tools I suppose...
Yes if you only have the electric fan then those tools are not needed.By the way HD cooling still has the electric fan,the mechanical fan is just there for added low speed cooling for towing.
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
mrjlr

Thank you guys for the tips....job is done...! Woo-Hoo !

Yes...had to drill out the 2 rivets...
Yes...had to remove the front grill piece...

Came out great...about 2 hours total...not a leak - all good !

Thanks again !!! You guys ROCK !

Unread 11-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Is the 2005 Liberty the same procedure as the 2002?
Turbobearcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I am struggling here. I have the hoses off, the support out of the way, the shroud removed and two mounting bolts removed. I have not undone the transmission lines yet but this thing doesn't even want to budge. The new radiator seems to have 4 mounting locations (bolts) plus the two for the electric fan but I, for the life of me, cannot find the lower bolts. What am I missing?

And why remove the battery tray? It doesn't appear to be anywhere near the radiator?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

some additional information for you would be 'do it yourselfers'. Yeah, it's not a bad job but there are a few 'tricks' that I haven't found anyone mentioning before.

This is on a 2002 liberty, 3.7, towing with A/C (did they all come with AC??)

First. You will want to remove the front grill. Just 4 torx bolts on the top. The bottoms just kind of clip in. A little wrangling to get it around the headlights but it comes out. Put it in a safe place, you don't want to step on it.

As mention in other threads, the radiator support is held on with 4 bolts on the top. The other two bolts are close to the bumper. Some folks drill out the rivits near the top of the support (I did) but I did this before I figured out how easy it is to remove the front grill.

I have the towing package. I was able to do this without removing the mechanical fan.

I read somewhere you don't have to remove the electric fan/shroud. I just don't see how that would work but it might. It's easy to remove even with the mechanical fan. Two bolts, one connector and a little bit of a puzzle to get it out.

There are two bolts that hold both the radiator and the condensor in place. Easy to see. Easy to remove. The condensor is now able to move around a little bit but there are a couple of tabs near the bottom that actually slip into part of the actual radiator. You need to free the condensor from these tabs before you can remove the radiator. You can tell this was made for ease of 'quick assembly' at the factory but not so much for service. There are a couple of soft rubber like pieces that help make sure the air is pulled in past the radiator. Mine kind of blocked me from being able to lift up the condensor. A little bit off work and some slight trimming of the rubber type stuff and I was able to get it out of the brackets.

On my early 2002 liberty I also had two additional bolts that ran from the front to the back. These are not easy to see initially. They go through a couple of rubber insulators but are hidden by the fore mentioned rubber like pieces. To get to them you have to pull the rubber like pieces (RLP from now on) plastic tabs. There are three on each side. They come out. I mangled the crap out of the one that is just behind the bumper and didn't even bother to put it back.

On the driver side you will need to unbolt the aux cooler to get the RLP out of the way. The RLP also has some square holes in it where the condensor mounts are. You need to move these off of the tabs on the radiator or they will hang up on you as you try to pull it out.

So once you the the RLP out of the way you will see two more bolts with some very large washers that go through the the rubber insulators. Remove these.

Then the hoses, the transmission lines and the overflowl. The slide it out. There are a couple of plastic pieces o the bottom of the tanks. Maybe it doesn't just 'slide right out' but at this point you should be able to coax it out of its mount.

Intallation is the other way. Get all 4 of the radiator bolt started first. Then put on the hoses and trans lines. THen tighten down the radiator bolts and then the trans lines and upper/lower rad hose.

Here are some pics:

Here is the tab on the bottom of the radiator. There is one on each side. The rubber comes out with the radiator so move it to the new one.

Here is a shot of where the rubber goes into. Slips right into place no issues.

This is the insulator. It has a bolt that goes through it. You can't see it without pushig the RLP out of the way.

And a shot of the insulator where it is mounted. No bolt. RLP moved out of the way.

You can see the plastic tabs that hold the RLP and the hole that the top one goes in. You can also see the aux cooler. You have to unbolt it but you don't have to remove it.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.