hard shifting 2002 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > hard shifting 2002

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 12-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
vwbuge
2002 WJ 

hard shifting 2002

A friend of mine asked me about her Liberty the other day. She said it was shifting at the right time but the shifts have become harsh. I asked if there was a check engine light on and she said no.

Fast forward to today and she said it is still shifting hard and the check engine light is now on. I have an OBD II scanner and will scan it tomorrow.

Any ideas without seeing a code first? I will post back as soon as I scan it.

vwbuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Powerslave
2006 KJ Liberty 

We await your code(s). Can be a multitude of things...
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
vwbuge
2002 WJ 

P 0734
Gear 4 ratio incorrect.
vwbuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Check the fluid level and quality first.

Check this out:

http://engine-codes.com/p0734_jeep.html
02blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbuge View Post
P 0734
Gear 4 ratio incorrect.
Since your girlfriend's Jeep is an '02 with the 45RFE this info may be incorrect, but with the 4th gear ratio code it's showing a problem with that clutch pack. I believe with that tranny the 2nd and 4th gears share the same clutch pack so your girlfriend is probably noticing the harsh shift from 1st to 2nd and you're getting a code for the 4th gear ratio - but it's all the same problem.

If your scanner can get the CVI numbers while you drive the Jeep. There is a specific range each clutch pack has to be within; if they're out of range then I hate to say it but you're probably looking at a rebuild or replace.

Bob
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.