Gonna Lift my KJ, any Suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Gonna Lift my KJ, any Suggestions?

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
KevCon223
2003 KJ Liberty 

Gonna Lift my KJ, any Suggestions?

Gonna lift my KJ, thinking about the 3'' Rough Country for price, also considering the Rocky Road Rockfather II, better components and all, but I'm hearing their shipping and customer service is well below par. Any feedback will be helpful...Thanks

KevCon223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Check out jeepinbyal. Rough Country kit isn't all that great, especially for the price. Also search the forums, a lot of info on lifts for Kjs on here.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

KevCon223

Would recommend skipping the two you have listed, times a million on the second one. AllJ's or Jeepin by Al would be your best bets. Old Man Emu (or just OME) stuff works really well with our rigs.

Do just a little searching on the KJ Forum, there is a wealth of knowledge already posted here. What will work & what won't.

Happy Hunting

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
nhcd538
2001 WJ 

Jeepinbyal is the way to go....the only way to go. Liberty's are not to be trifled with or you WILL be doing front end work perpetually. Get the Frankenlift. Trust me.

Sent from my Motorola 4G LTE wireless device
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Tommudd is around here, as well as a few others with a lot of experience with lifting these. I have ironman springs ordered for my lift, they are said to ride a little better than OME. Jeepinbyal is the source for them. Right now my lift just got put on hold due to "performing my civic duty". Yeah I won the freaking lottery,lol.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Rocky Road and Rough Country
Well you picked the worst first at least
Also remove Skyjacker and Rusty's from your search, both have stock rated springs and sag quickly.
Other than that OME/ Ironman both are good , better ride, handling etc
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
KevCon223
2003 KJ Liberty 

Still a little confused, The Rockfather II 2.5 lift from Rocky Road is Old Man Emu Parts:
New Old Man Emu front custom springs.
Under-the-Top® strut cap and spacers for 3" leveling lift in front.
Old Man Emu front strut shocks.
Custom full height rear springs. Full height! Not small springs with a spacer included.
Rocky Road engineered rear shocks
Still cheaper than Jeepin By Al, but if its the quality, then I'll go with Jeepin By Al, or is it the bad customer service i'm hearing about with Rocky Road.
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevCon223 View Post
Still a little confused, The Rockfather II 2.5 lift from Rocky Road is Old Man Emu Parts:
New Old Man Emu front custom springs.
Under-the-Top® strut cap and spacers for 3" leveling lift in front.
Old Man Emu front strut shocks.
Custom full height rear springs. Full height! Not small springs with a spacer included.
Rocky Road engineered rear shocks
Still cheaper than Jeepin By Al, but if its the quality, then I'll go with Jeepin By Al, or is it the bad customer service i'm hearing about with Rocky Road.
Their shocks are not that good, you'll be replacing them sooner than what you would others.
rear springs that are of their design do not hold up well either and their famous top strut cap is not a good way to lift. Plus OME are full height springs as well. Its just when you want to go higher than 3 inches that you add other things
Their UCAs do not fit well and people have had issues with no only fitment but also getting a good alignment . We don't tell you no just cause we don't like them, we do from several years of hearing and seeing issues with their products.
Quality and customer service is both better at JBA. Personally have done or helped with over 30 KJ lifts, not a lot but have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Also have ran two different OME setup on my own DD plus tested the very first Ironman suspension setup when they came to the US. So know how each rides, how they handle, what exactly to use to get you 2-2.5-3 or 4 inches of lift
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
KevCon223
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Their shocks are not that good, you'll be replacing them sooner than what you would others.
rear springs that are of their design do not hold up well either and their famous top strut cap is not a good way to lift. Plus OME are full height springs as well. Its just when you want to go higher than 3 inches that you add other things
Their UCAs do not fit well and people have had issues with no only fitment but also getting a good alignment . We don't tell you no just cause we don't like them, we do from several years of hearing and seeing issues with their products.
Quality and customer service is both better at JBA. Personally have done or helped with over 30 KJ lifts, not a lot but have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Also have ran two different OME setup on my own DD plus tested the very first Ironman suspension setup when they came to the US. So know how each rides, how they handle, what exactly to use to get you 2-2.5-3 or 4 inches of lift
How about the 3.5 econo lift at JBA?
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

The owner of JeepinByAl and I came up with a list of parts that not only work well together but also includes everything you need to do a lift the right way. ( upper control arms etc included)
The ride is good with the combination or parts and handles real well. Those that have bought the kit report back with good results.
I don't make a dime from it, but was just a way to have a list of whats needed for the many people who kept asking for the best way but also the economical
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
KevCon223
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks tommudd......Do I need anything else, such as brake lines or anything?
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Not a problem glad to help!
Order some Teraflex front bumpstops as well
Brake lines are OK

What year do you have ?
later model years you need a small 2 inch long bracket to drop down the rear brake line
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
KevCon223
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Not a problem glad to help!
Order some Teraflex front bumpstops as well
Brake lines are OK

What year do you have ?
later model years you need a small 2 inch long bracket to drop down the rear brake line
I have a 2003, so I guess I'm good on the brake lines. Yes, I will order the bumpstops....Thanks, you've been a lot of help...
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
KevCon223
2003 KJ Liberty 

I'm looking at the JBA 4'' Silver package coilover, but it seems when I part it out separately, it comes out about 5-6 hundred cheaper....Am I missing some parts included with the package? I've added front struts, arms, 4'' rear Bilstein shocks, 4'' springs, y link bumpstops and brake lines.
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevCon223 View Post
I'm looking at the JBA 4'' Silver package coilover, but it seems when I part it out separately, it comes out about 5-6 hundred cheaper....Am I missing some parts included with the package? I've added front struts, arms, 4'' rear Bilstein shocks, 4'' springs, y link bumpstops and brake lines.
list out what parts you've found and prices so we can see what exactly you are looking at ( parts wise)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.