GF looking to buy Liberty Limited, Common Issues?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > GF looking to buy Liberty Limited, Common Issues??

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-13-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
1999WJMIKE

GF looking to buy Liberty Limited, Common Issues??

Hey KJers Im looking at getting my girlfriend a Liberty Limited. Know all I know is XJs and WJs. Is there any common issue that we should look for or know about before I end up shooting myself in the foot. And I have always owned Jeeps because they preform outstanding in snow and here in norther Canada we have it 8 months of the year, does the Libby live up to is name? Thanks for any help in advace.

HERS - 1996 XJ Sport 4.0 HO. Stock. Purple like her...uh...soul.

Canadian Jeep Club Member#37
1999WJMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
jeepjeepster

What years are you looking at? New or used? Any libbys 02-06 do not have any majpr problems.. They changed a few things on the 07's so I dont know about those.

If you get alot of snow, I would replace the stock tires with better ones. Like all jeeps, they suck..
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
pbrutsch

Only really major problem universal to the various engine types (gas and diesel) are the LBJs.
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
Stoker1

Love mine, only comment is the mpg could be better but then again it's 4,000 pound truck not a soccer mom SUV.
Stoker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker1
Love mine, only comment is the mpg could be better but then again it's 4,000 pound truck not a soccer mom SUV.
A KJ weighs in at 4k LBS? Damn! Some one needs to go on a diet. I ditn't think they weighed that much.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
1999WJMIKE

looking in the 02-04 range. And gas milage is not a concern my little WJ piggy gets 14mgp. Also yeah the stupid Goodyears on that Jeep puts on are always the first thing to go.

HERS - 1996 XJ Sport 4.0 HO. Stock. Purple like her...uh...soul.

Canadian Jeep Club Member#37
1999WJMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on
A KJ weighs in at 4k LBS? Damn! Some one needs to go on a diet. I ditn't think they weighed that much.
haha, crazy isnt it? Thats one reason they can tow 5k lbs..
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #8
CRD4Liberty

The Liberty as a whole has been rated as on of the most reliable, heavy duty rigs of it's size ever built. She won't be disappointed with her choice.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on

Actually, it is 4K and some change depending on if you have the CRD or not and/or skid plates.......
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #10
Eddo

Yeah it just as heavy as the old WJ and ZJ, crazy. I believe the reason is government safety regulations. Alot more steel to protect the occupants from side impacts and roll over. Just look at the new WK and it weights about 4500-4700 depending on configuration. Look at other new comparable SUVs and they weight more than you would think. Even a honda CRV has weights almost 3500lbs.
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddo
Yeah it just as heavy as the old WJ and ZJ, crazy. I believe the reason is government safety regulations. Alot more steel to protect the occupants from side impacts and roll over. Just look at the new WK and it weights about 4500-4700 depending on configuration. Look at other new comparable SUVs and they weight more than you would think. Even a honda CRV has weights almost 3500lbs.

I don't know about gov't regs. Probably plays in somewhere. The thing is so stiff unibody wise. I can put a jack under the front jacking point and the rear tire comes off the ground almost with the front. Very stiff and lacking very much flex. Our benifit for off roaders.
Unread 12-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #12
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
I don't know about gov't regs. Probably plays in somewhere. The thing is so stiff unibody wise. I can put a jack under the front jacking point and the rear tire comes off the ground almost with the front. Very stiff and lacking very much flex. Our benifit for off roaders.
It actually has a Uni-frame, and it is very stiff like you say. In a cherokee, the doors will not line up if the jeep if at full flex. The rear gate is the only door that will not line up just perfect if its fully flexed.
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #13
dono man
1990 YJ Wrangler 

02-04 concerns would be the Lower Ball Joints other than that I have nothing negative to say... oh wait, I get 15mpg city and 20(if I'm light on the gas) highway.
But it flat-tows my YJ like there's nothing behind it and then I get around 12mpg
dono man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #14
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster
It actually has a Uni-frame, and it is very stiff like you say. In a cherokee, the doors will not line up if the jeep if at full flex. The rear gate is the only door that will not line up just perfect if its fully flexed.

Same difference. I guess on my 67 Mustange, there is no "frame". It has a frame rail. I actually connected the two rails to stiffen up the flex under full torque. We have a frame, but not like a real frame that you could take off the rig. Same purpose.
Unread 12-15-2006, 08:08 AM   #15
SliderCRD

I had an 03 Liberty 3.7 and it was great....I put over 150,000kms on it with no problems

I would agree gas mileage was not great....and I would prefer more cargo area ( the Honda CRV is at least 30% larger but not a true 4x4)

I just bought a 06 CRD and so far so good
SliderCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.