General questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > General questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Oberon
2003 KJ Liberty 

General questions

Hi.
Been buying parts for my lift for a while- got an OME 1.5" lift kit off jeepinbyal, and looking to get everything i need before i look at where i'm at for tires, if that makes sense. I've still got no idea what i'm doing, but i've got some people here to help me along so, just let me know what i'm missing please, or anything you can think of^^
I have heard of people putting in extra rear isolators and front top plates with a clevis lift for extra lift, and it looks rather easy. I'm having a hard time finding the rear isolators... always see them posted but cant find them online. If someone can give me a link so I can feel stupid, please do.
Can you explain the difference between a top plate and a Front Strut Shim, which is what i assume is where people get the 3/8" from, but i've seen them say they are not compatible with certain top plates etc. I suppose people stick with their stock top plates and add in the 3/8's shim...
Will my 1.5" lift with another inch from above parts be enough to put some armor on this *****? Lost jeeps has some aluminum ones that are lighter, would those be preferable with a smaller lift like this? Are there advantages to armoring it before i lift? Will i somehow make a big mistake by doing things in the wrong order? These are questions that plague my existence. Planning on going with 245 75 16 duratracs due to recommendations and price. They are 840 for a set of 5 from tire rack, plus 95 bucks shipping. But i've always got my tires from les schwab for the obvious benefits, plus i can pay for them monthly that way. What are your thoughts on Les schwab vs tire rack?

tl;dr- ome 1.5 lift, where can i find rear iso's, explain strut shims vs top plates, armor with a small lift, and tire rack vs les schwab.

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Where to start?
Rear upper isolators can be bought from the dealer, JeepinByAl or even find them at the salvage yard if they have KJs
If you want more lift then you can do a 3/8 inch clevis lift or a top plate. Again JBA has 1/4 inch top plates which give you 1/2 inch of lift. The 3/8 inch clevis will give you 3/4 inch of lift
With one or the other you'll need to install one extra rear upper isolator if doing both the clevis and the top plate you'll need two extra per side.
You can use hockey pucks (2 per side ) for rear bumpstops and JBA has the front teraflex bumpstops.
Duratracs are a great tire I think, have over 38,000 on mine so far
245-75-16s are the size you want, no regearing involved
Oh and you'll get more than 1.5 inches out of the OME 927s/948s
for example with both the clevis and top plates measurements from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare will be 22.50-22.75
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Oberon
2003 KJ Liberty 

thanks tom. I'm still confused about the top plate vs front strut shim. i suppose they do the same thing in essence, but which is better?
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.