Gauge cluster light types? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Gauge cluster light types?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Lace
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Gauge cluster light types?

I just finished a LED conversion with my TJ and the fiancee loves it and wants her KJ (2006 limited) to be fitted with LEDs.

I found the manual online but it's telling me:

Interior Lights Bulb Type
A/C Heater . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not Serviceable
Ashtray Receiver Light . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 161
Climate Control (Manual A/C). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 74
Front Reading . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 192
Rear Cargo Light . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2142
Lighted Vanity Mirror *. . . . . . . . . . . . . . P/N 6501966
Underpanel Courtesy Lights. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 906
Instrument Cluster (General Illumination) . . . . . . . 103
Telltale/Hazard Light . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 74

I cant find any 103's for the life of me.

Do any of you happen to know which size bulbs the instrument panel uses?

Lace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

The panel has 9..I think...small bulb assemblies plugged in at the rear of the cluster. I think they are specific Jeep only bulbs. The Sticky above, "Liberty Service Manual", has section 8, wiring diagrams (about 42MB). This gives you the circuit diagrams and also describes how to take the panel apart and remove the bulbs...this download is for 2002 models, gas or diesel, LHD RHD etc. but should be valid for later year models.
How are you going to dim the panel lights if you use LEDs? Fit a complete seperate circuit?
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
x556

Any luck on finding those 103's? Mine has the temperature side of the cluster blown and it's driving me nuts! I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited
x556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x556 View Post
Any luck on finding those 103's? Mine has the temperature side of the cluster blown and it's driving me nuts! I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited
PC74 may work for you.

What I did, so that I didn't have to go back in there again, was buy 9 "PC74" led bulbs. Their sockets were not compatible, so I pulled the led housing out of each of the bulbs (you will know what I mean if you go this route) and also carefully pulled out the bulbs from the OEM bulb sockets. Then I put the led bulbs into the OEM bulb sockets and soldered them to the contacts. Took some trial and error due to their polarity (you can turn the bulb 180deg in the socket, so no need to worry about soldering them wrong) but ended up fixing them permanently.

You will need a needle point soldering iron (not one of those big Weller guns unless you have a special tip) and some patience if you are to do this. I would recommend, if you can, getting a soldering station with a variable temperature adjuster and setting it to around 800F. That way the work can heat up quickly so you can solder, and it will be quick enough that you wont melt the plastic socket.

Good luck!

Edit: Pictures!

Unread 10-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As they say, pictures are worth a thousand words. Nice

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
x556

Amazing! Thanks a lot bro, I'll let you know when I'm done with these thingies!
Unread 10-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
x556

Ok so my patience ain't good as yours and I ended up shorting the cluster. I couldn't manage to get the pins to solder to the exposed metals on the twist connectors. So I ordered these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=111462217772
I think they will easier to handle. Will keep you on the know how well these worked for me.
Unread 10-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x556 View Post
Ok so my patience ain't good as yours and I ended up shorting the cluster. I couldn't manage to get the pins to solder to the exposed metals on the twist connectors. So I ordered these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=111462217772
I think they will easier to handle. Will keep you on the know how well these worked for me.
Interested to know how that works out. I agree, it took me several tries on a few of the connectors. I had to tin a few of them to get the solder to stick. Also, I used very thin gauge solder. If I could have found the same gauge in lead solder I would have used that, as lead-based solder tends to mate two surfaces together better than the stuff without it.

Patience definitely helps. Having one of these helps too (RadioShack Digital Soldering Station):

Got it on sale a year or so ago for $79
Unread 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
x556

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanc
Interested to know how that works out. I agree, it took me several tries on a few of the connectors. I had to tin a few of them to get the solder to stick. Also, I used very thin gauge solder. If I could have found the same gauge in lead solder I would have used that, as lead-based solder tends to mate two surfaces together better than the stuff without it. Patience definitely helps. Having one of these helps too (RadioShack Digital Soldering Station): Got it on sale a year or so ago for $79
Will do buddy. I had issues with the sizes of LEDs I bought as well. I think I made a mistake in the size when ordering, hopefully the others will do the trick. Can't wait for them to arrive!
image-2040027753.jpg

Unread 10-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

My knowledge of LED's is somewhat limited. On the dash applications, are they dimmable? If not, is there another component that is required to be added in for the purpose of dimming the LED's?

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
My knowledge of LED's is somewhat limited. On the dash applications, are they dimmable? If not, is there another component that is required to be added in for the purpose of dimming the LED's?
They dim just fine for me, but under a hunch I got the "regular" LEDS (superbrightleds.com) and not the "high power" ones, and while they're brighter at the lowest setting compared to their incandescent cousins, they have a pretty decent range of dimming.

The white LEDs did wash out the "green" of the instrument panel, though. It looks more like light blue now.
Unread 10-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
x556

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanc
They dim just fine for me, but under a hunch I got the "regular" LEDS (superbrightleds.com) and not the "high power" ones, and while they're brighter at the lowest setting compared to their incandescent cousins, they have a pretty decent range of dimming. The white LEDs did wash out the "green" of the instrument panel, though. It looks more like light blue now.
I wonder how blue is gonna turn out in mine...
Unread 10-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I might have to give these a try, but maybe at a future time.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

If anyone is looking for the LEDs I have used in the picture, it's these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...panel-led/709/

The bulb itself seems to be a generic (for SBL, at least) one that plugs into several different sockets. You just carefully bend out the leads and cut the bit they were wrapped around about half way (as seen in the picture above). Hot glue into the socket and then worry about soldering. I wish I had taken more pictures, but it should be relatively easy to figure out.

Tags
bulb , gauge cluster , led , limited , size

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.