Gasket Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Gasket Problem?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
jbaglien
2003 KJ Liberty 

Gasket Problem?

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport with 130000 miles on it. The check engine light is not on, it does not appear to be burning oil, runs great and the problem does not happen all the time (it is happening more frequently now). It happens only on short trips from the store, 5-15 miles of driving. If I'm coming to a down hill/slope stop and turning right, the engine or under the hood with let out a poof (I don't hear it or see it) just smell it. When I look under the hood, there appears to be a build up of dirty oil below the area where I would add oil and on two hoses in front of the area when oil is added. I have tried using an oil additive, oil for high millage cars that state they help leaks, but that did not help. Any suggestions - I'm unemployed and would like to try to fix it my self it at all possible. Thanks

jbaglien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
valvestem

Have you ever changed out the PCV valve?
valvestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

The gunk build up below the cap can be cleaned with var sol .
Good idea to replace the pcv valve on the side of the oil filler tube.
Which oil additive did you use? When was the last time the spark plugs were changed? I replace my plugs every 25K miles.
I also would make sure that inside the air filter box is totally spotlessly clean, and if the air filter is dirty get a new one.
Next is on to cleaning the throttle body intake. Use carb cleaner spray and get any dirt /carbon built up inside the throttle body, out of there, using the spray and a lint free shop towel. The throttle body swing plate should be clean too.
After it is clean I also use a fine oil applied to the horizontal swing plate round bar, where it mounts on the throttle body. I also clean the outer edges of the swing door/plate on the out side edges, and then apply fine oil, on those out side edges as well, to ensure a smooth movement of the throttle plate door.
Has this engine ever had a professional oil flush? In your motor have you been using conventional motor oil or synthetic oils?
Getting the motor inside clean is also important. I always change my filter when oil change is done. Never just dump the oil with out a new filter.
If you have been running conventional oils, change it to synthetics as it will help to clean the motor better than the cheaper conventional oils and lubricate stem seals better as well.
I am not sure where you leak is coming from, possibly you could get a photo and PM me so I could look at it better.

Last edited by LibertyTC; 11-23-2009 at 10:33 AM..
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.