Full Time/Part Time 4wd? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Full Time/Part Time 4wd?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-09-2002, 05:12 AM   #1
Buffalo Chip

Full Time/Part Time 4wd?

I just got a new Liberty limited with the full 4wd package (Selec-Trac). There is a full time 4wd and part time 4wd. When and under what circumstances should I choose between the 2?

Unread 03-09-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
Liberty-4-All

The easy way to remember when to use them are as follows:

Full-Time 4WD can be used all the time. It is for the street and can be engaged on any service...Full-Time. It allows all four wheels to turn at different speeds.

Part-Time 4WD can be used only some of the time. It is for off road adventures and should only be used on loose dirt/mud/ect. When engaged it locks the front and rear driveshafts together so that front and rear wheels can not turn at different speeds. It gives better traction for off road adventures. Using part-Time 4WD on the road will damge your drivetrain.

4WD LO is for serious 4Wheelin'. Read your manual to get the correct engagement criteria. It can not be engaged at up to 55 MPH like Full-Time and Part-Time 4WD.
ARMOR, ARMOR, ARMOR
LLL=15.75"
L.O.S.T.member #000001

Visit www.KJJeep.com

I got your Grocery Getter Hangin'
Liberty-4-All is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2002, 09:02 AM   #3
Kenny 96 XJ

The full time 4wd can be used all of the time hence full time. But the part time mode is to be used only on slipery surfaces like snow, ice, dirt, mud, etc... But it should NOT be used on dry pavement since there will be a lot of strain on the mechanical components especially during turns.

In a turn, the outside wheels travel a greater distance than the inner wheels, so they have to turn at different speeds. The full time 4wd lets this happen but not the part time. Off-road in part time mode, the wheels will slip and skip due to the surface condition without strain tou your truck.

So in winter, put it in full time and forget it. Off-road, better put it in part time and 4LOW.

Hope this helps...
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
capper80
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i have a 96 jeep grand cherokee and when in full time 4wd and turning in a parking lot it binds up and makes a grinding noise like breaks eating into rotors. whats the fix for this if im suppose to be able to turn on dry serfaces.
capper80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

If u got a jeep Cherokee u can go as fast as u want in 4 wheel drive its not limited like our library owners in the past I had a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee. The thing that is going to kill sales for jeep is them eliminating the straight 6 , 4.0 ..
satgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper80 View Post
i have a 96 jeep grand cherokee and when in full time 4wd and turning in a parking lot it binds up and makes a grinding noise like breaks eating into rotors. whats the fix for this if im suppose to be able to turn on dry serfaces.
Could be a number of things but the first I'd check are the universal joints at each front wheel.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What modes are available to you?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Normal for you if you got the 249 t-case that uses a clutch pack in the t-case,not normal if you have the 242 t-case.

The 242 t-case is not a direct shift t-case,it uses check balls and springs to shift and is very common for it to get stuck in part time 4wd thinking it's in full time 4wd.Burnt fluid and mis-matched tires(tread depth and/or air pressure) are the big culprits of a bad shifting 242.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.